NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The teapot & the scorpion

Llamanaut

Whilst at work yesterday i managed to get permission to view from a really nice dark site close to the coast. I can get the car within spitting distance of my obs position, and being on private land at the end of a dead end track no-one will be venturing out without good reason. Really happy with the view and could clarly see the milky way from cassiopeia all the way down to sagitarius, plus with the sea on the horizon i can steal a few degrees too! Nice clear night so decided to have a bash at the Sagitarius and Scorpius messiers.

Started off the session as is my habit now with M13 and M57 to check seeing.

Moon, was still low and giving off some LP so i had a bit of a play with my new planetary ep's from skies the limit (no, i dont work for them or have any connection with them, just really happy with their service) The 9mm gave some really crisp views especially near the terminator, the 3mm even closer views but subject to lots of boiling and turbulence, looking forward to really good seing with that one!

The moon dipped sufficiently around midnight so i began by looking at Scorpius. Unfortunately i forgot my 0III filter so couldnt do some of the nebulae clouds justice but still achieved some really nice views. Finished off around 2am with a low down view of jupiter, which again was boiling and turbulent, but still managed to see 3 of its moons albeit with not a lot of detail. The following is my 'playlist'...

M4, M80, M19, M62,

M6 Butterfly Cluster

M7 (which i stumbled onto by luck not judgement!)

M11 Wild Duck Cluster

M16 Eagle Nebula - just spectacular

M17 Omega Nebula

M8 Lagoon Nebula

M20 Trifid Nebula

M18, M21, M28, M22, M69, M70, M54, M15 & M2

Really happy with this haul :)

i have open access to the site whenever i want it!!!!!! i used the 300 dob. Funnily enough M70 didnt take me that long to find, its exactly mid way between Ascella and Kaus Australis... however its really really low down in Sagitarius, ive a feeling the only reason i nailed it was the fact im observing from the coast and the sea horizon is about as low as youre going to get! Im at Lat 51N so managed to steal a few degrees by observing over water rather than allowing any land to get in the way

Nice Report! Lots of eyecandy there. M17 is a spectacular object, try viewing it at high power, say around 200x with a UHC or OIII filter. Take my word for it, you won't be dissappointed!

• 3 weeks later...

I remember my recent first time viewing of M4 in the 15 by 70's..Its a fine site and when I got home, looking at the same spot with a bit of orange glow..nothing..

It is amazing how seeing can affect views low down so much..

Mark

Archived