NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

JPEG Reduction

All

I am a newbie. I have a newbie question.

Does anybody know how to compress jpeg images so that they can be mailed or posted . My pegs seem to be between 3 and 6MB and I need them to be down to 250kb.

Dalglish

You will need some software to reduce the size of the files but it normally means that the overall dimensions are reduced as well.

You could try something like Paint.net which is a free download and has some nice facilities, a bit like a cheap version of PhotoShop. :)

Thanks alot, I will explore that tonight.

I wonder. How do people manage to get pictures of their scopes onto the sale section of SGL which I presume they have taken with normal 'snap and shoot' digital cameras. I think there is a posting limit of 'small' kb but even cameras like Canon Sureshots produce 3MB jpegs when downloaded.

regards

Dalglish

re-size the image so it is no more than, say, 500 pixels wide and then save as a jpeg. Set the compression to around 5. That will turn my 5MB camera shots into about 200kB, it depends on what detail is in the picture.

Dennis

You probably need to resize them, after capturing. My Canon 450d produces images of about 5Mb each in jpg form, with some compression. But that's a large image at about 4500pixels by 2700 pixels. I resize them to 800px on the longest edge for posting, this brings the size down to about 150kb, depending on the data in the image itself.

Hello Dalglish,

On the current (August) edition of Computer Shopper's cover DVD is a program by Ashampoo - Photo Commander 7 which is just the job for resizing a wide range of image files as well as quite a few useful other functions. It's free, all you have to do is register on thier website for a free licence key.

Doc

IrfanView is a very useful tool and you can 'batch' process, which can save a lot of time

On my PCs is the default image viewer since a lot of year.

It's my favorite tool to

-visualize images (almost every common type)

-resize single images or whole directories

-prepare fast preview from raw files (I use a canon 300d...)

This program is very very fast to open and very light: I use it also on an old 600MHz with win98....

Moreover it can do some basic actions on jpeg files without re-compressing, as 90° rotation, flip or crop.

I highly reccomend it!

ciao

dan

Dont know if its still being sold or available as a free download but Ulead PhotoExplorer is what I use for web compression because it can whack a pic down from 500k (assuming pic size of 1000x1000(ish) to around 40k with no visible image loss the best version was 4.2 which I still use - the later versions do far more than I ever need. Being old school I still compress all my website pics as small as they can go to make the pages load faster.

You could also try Ulead smartsaver - which still has free downloads here Image optimization software: Ulead SmartSaver Pro - Home

Photexplorer uses smartsaver as its compression system - its generally a good prog to use but no idea how it would react to astro imaging applications.

Mel

SGL allows you to submit files of up to 2.0 MB so I resize mine in Photoshop and make sure the longest edge is 800 pixels and files come out between 150 Kb and 185 Kb so no worries.

Archived