NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Bournemouth

Hopeful

Have requested a 'scope for my 50th. I've had a casual interest for a while but have managed with binoculars so far. After looking around the 'net for a week or so (and reading lots of useful posts on here) I had my mind set on an Explorer 150P. Collimation put me off a little but after reading AstroBaby's guide I reckon it's not so much of an issue.

Over the last couple of days though, because of light pollution in the area and the fact that my garden has lots of surrounding trees and houses, I'm going to go for a Skymax 127 on an EQ3-2. If I move (or just get more serious) I can get the 150P OTA later.

Does that sound logical? I'm already looking forward to the summer holiday in rural Cornwall and can put the Skymax in the boot :D

Colin

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Colin

Welcome to the forum from another Bournemouthian (on the border with Poolian!)

From what I have read the 127 is a nice scope and will give reasonable views.

You may be interested in checking out South Coast Astronomers Group (SCAG) who meet at Turf Hill in the New Forest - nice and dark. Next meeting 12 June.

Hi Colin and welcome to the forum. :D

I'd certainly take up any offers of looking through people's set ups! A lot of shiny kit out there to tempt you so any experience you can obtain in helping you decide what will suit your needs is time well spent.

Good luck and clear skies. :D

James

Hi and welcome to the group :D

Your future upgrade path sounds cool but you may find you want a more significant increase when the time comes. 127 to 150 isn't that great a move - you'll probably want to go to 200 (8"). If that happens then you'll need to figure in a bigger, and more steady mount. It's called "aperture fever" lol. All the best!

Hi Another here from that part of the world. Hamworthy, Poole for us. Just taken up the hobby really for the benefit of my 6 year old daughter who has woken a latent interest in me. Believe it or not she has already started covering the subject of "space" at school and already had made use of the Mizon Travelling Planetarium at her school. She actually went in there again just last night at a meeting of the Wessex Astronomical Society. We bought our first telescope an Orion 6" reflector of late 90's vintage via ebay. Already seen interesting things and also went straight into the Photography side of the subject as it makes it easier for a 6 year old it seems. Thanks to Earl_uk for telling me about this site. Wayne....

Welcome to the forum. You live in a cracking part of the UK.. Must be lovely when the sun is out. Enjoy your new hobby !

If it makes you feel better I lived closer to you 25 years ago (around yate & chipping sodbury area) Rather stay here now though :D

Wayne...

I've just ordered a Skymax 127 on EQ3-2 from Rother Valley :D They said it might be with me tomorrow :D

I had e-mailed FLO last week but got no response (or even a Welcome e-mail when I registered). I even PMd them ;) Never mind, it was cheaper from RVO anyway.

Archived