Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Barlow

Hi

Pointers on a decent barlow appreciated, ive started imaging the moon and planets so a range of Barlows would seem appropriate for my kit (which is listed in the my signature), im assuming for the moon i can go as far as x4, but obviously need reasonable quality.

Regards

John B

Televue for pretty well top of the range barlows, or Tals are good if you're at the other end. Antares aren't bad for mid range prices. The only other mid range I've tried are Celestrons and, though functional, I wasn't particularly impressed :D

If your budget allows, Televue powermates are the way to go. They have optional adapters to connect to T-rings or can be used just like any other barlow but the quality is supreme.

A regular Televue 2x or 3x barlow is also top of the tree as far as barlows go.

Whilst i've never used them, the TALs do come well recommended on here at the budget end of the spectrum.

How about the Orion Shorty Barlow, nice and compact.

I think it's the Shorty Plus that is the short one (and a clone of the Celestron Ultima). The Shorty is a longer format 2 element barlow (misleading name !) :D

I'd second the steer towards the Tele Vue Powermates if the budgets allow - simply superb :D

I think it's the Shorty Plus that is the short one (and a clone of the Celestron Ultima). The Shorty is a longer format 2 element barlow (misleading name !) :D

I'd second the steer towards the Tele Vue Powermates if the budgets allow - simply superb :D

Orion has 2 shorty barlows the standard shorty and the shorty + both give good views.

For visual work I would far rather do without a barlow altogether. With an f/5 scope the highest power that is useful visually requires a 4mm focal length eyepiece, something like the Televue Radian will let you have a 4mm eyepiece with lots of eye releief and pretty good contrast.

If your budget allows, powermates are the way to go. They have optional adapters to connect to T-rings .

Does this mean that you can use it with the DSLR ? - not something I had ever considered

Regards

John B

Does this mean that you can use it with the DSLR ? - not something I had ever considered

Regards

John B

John,

Televue do a T-Ring adapter for their powermates which allows the lens to be connected to a DSLR T-Ring and used to connect the camera to the telescope at prime focus. The adapter is an additional £30-40 though on top of the powermate, and another £10 for the T-ring for your camera if you don't have one.

Regards

Stuart

For webcams, DMK with 5,6 x 5,6 pixels optimal focal ratio is f/20 so for f/5 Newtonian 4x Barlow would be best. For non-monochrome webcams (like yours SPC900NC) I would suggest 3x Barlow so the image would be bit brighter and shorter exposures needed (and using extension tube you always can boost the 3x to nearly 4x). 3x Tal barlow, GSO/Revelation 3x ED, Antares 3x APO should be ok.

Archived