NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SKYMAX PRO 180 MAK -JUST BOUGHT ONE! Review to follow

Decided to order the Skymax 180 pro mak from Bern at Modern Astronomy- due with me this Thursday. I will be posting an in depth review as soon as I have a few observation sessions logged. I am intrigued to see how it compares with the 6" f8 synta refractor I have. The refractor is absolutely superb for an achromat in perfect collimation and fitted with a dual speed moonlite focusser. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the f15 Mak on double stars and lunar performance. I will have to wait a while for a comparison on the planets . heres the refractor set up. image.jpg

I will post in the Review section.

Cheers

Dave

Steve, I quite agree the Skymax 150 is a superb scope. I actually owned one for a short while and much of my decision to purchase the180 is based on the optical quality of it's smaller brother. I am anticipating a fair amount of image shift though- my 150 had loads!

cheers

Dave

• 5 years later...

I have just bought a SW 180Mak and the first chance to use it was the 5/5/2012 it was mounted on a SW EQ5Pro.

First light was amazing although Mars was very small about 10Arc seconds I could make out Ice cap and planetary detail at 500x... First time EVER in 50years of looking through a scope.

Think back to your fisrt moment

Congrats on your choice.

I've had mine for a couple of months mounted on an EQ6 with my ED80 and caught my first view of Saturn about 2 weeks ago. I had the 127 version a while back and regretted selling it, so was hoping for something a bit special and I have to say it doesn't disappoint! Leave it a fair while to cool down and you will be well rewarded. Saturn looked stunning! Crisp, clear image and could even just make out Cassini division with a 20mm eyepiece. I love these Maks.

Holy thread resurrection batman
;):):D:)

Absoluteley - surely it would have been easier to post a new one than search for this :)

Did Dave write that review ????

Joking aside - they get rave reviews have fun

Archived