NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Glimmer of hope

geppetto

James,

I've been in work the last few nights and no matter how bad its been theres always been a few 30 min or so periods when clouds have cleared that the seeing was pretty good (Saturday morning from 2am onwards was nothing short of stunning). I might be worth setting up and taking a peek at the sky every hour or so?

Gaz

I might be worth setting up and taking a peek at the sky every hour or so?

It was like that all last week here Gaz but this week it's been shocking all night, Iam always out there every half hour checking too :wink:. Ive noticed the seeing has been great in those little spells of clear skies i put it down to the atomsphere being cleaned up :grin::lol:

James

Well, just organised a 16" and a 20" (as well as my 22") to come to the Ambermile workshops later tonight 'cos all the sites say it's going to be clear. Here's hoping!

Arthur

A comparision of those 3 would be interesting Arthur.

True - they were within 20 feet of each other at Kelling but Thursday and Friday were a bit hectic (public-wise) so we never got to play properly, everyone wanted to see the big targets :roll:

Arthur

LOL!! I suppose taking a big Dob to a Star Party can be a bit of a double edged sword!

20" couldn't make it. Started out OK then clouded out big time. Spent 1/2 hour trying to figure the NGC - almost had it and the battery died :wink: Moon was *really* intrusive so put the OIII filter on the 8mm and went for it (338x). Impressive! So much so that we 2x barlowed... Impressive too, a bit boily but inbetween it was awesome. Then it was clusters and doubles for 20 mins and the cloud came in.

Arthur

Well, I had cloud up until at least 11pm (I went to bed - fed up with waiting!!!).

Got up at 2:30 (pee) and it was clear. Got up at 5:30 (?) and it was clear, so I went out with the bino's.

Orion was nicely up on the South, so I had a good look round. Easily make out nebulosity in M42, really nice. A good look at Betelguese as well (lovely colour), and even though you know there's no hope of seeing Horsey, you have to try, don't you!!! :wink:

A scoot through Taurus with an eye on where the Crab might be hiding (I am going to get that this year if it's the last thing I do!!), and of course, M45.

Then over to the SE where Saturn had risen, higher than I expected actually. Definitely my favourite planet, so I'm looking forward to getting the webcam on it again this year!

It felt Autumnal this morning, was a nice time to be up.......

Last night was the best for a few weeks.

The only issue was dew but I managed to minimse it's impact by the keeping the eyepieces in their cases in my jacket pocket.

I observed M56 and some double in Cygnus and Cepheus also stopped by the Garnet Star.

Cheers

Ian

Had 2 outings last night, first about 9ish for the moon, stayed out for about an hour, and then dewed up completly. Took a couple of pics, but really had trouble focusing.

2nd time was at 3.30am. Went out and I could see Taurus, but Orion was covered in clouds, well I whispered a few inchantations to my clouds, and they moved for me :wink:

Had the Tasco out...man its rubbish compared to my dob, so I got the big un out, and then continued to stand there with mouth wide open staring at M42..

Came back in about 4.30-4.45 can't remember now.

Best night I have ever had with the scope.

Kain

Sounds like you had a top night Kain. I know what you mean about smaller scopes, it's hard to go back down in size isn't it?

Try putting a high mag eyepiece in your Dob and see how many stars you can make out at the core of M42. Its a good test of optics/ eyesight/ seeing.

Archived