Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HELP - A Scope Question

Well, ive found a forum im liking from wot i see :wink: !!

Okay im starting out and wanting to buy a scope (surprise)

Ive been looking at newton reflectors and read up on them a bit. Ive come to the conclusion an 8" appature is a good starting place (bearing in mind i want to see deeper in to space than just the planetary system and photography is something that i want to do later). I've been looking at a Explorer 200 HEQ5. After deeply considering the portablity and setting up time im starting to think of other options, now, a GOTO option started to appeal to me,...........oh it really does need someone with a bit of experience and knowledge here........ and so im looking at other scopes and mounts with the GOTO option ( or at least with motor tracking).

So my question is WHAT SHALL I GET!! :?

This does sound very noob im sure but what i need to know is what is going to be best value for money if i had a MAX £1000 to spend.

I'm KNOW from what 've read that this is no simple answer, I would like all of your opinions and advice to help point me in the right direction.

Thanks Scotty

Welcome to the forum Scotty,

An Explorer 200 and HEQ5 would be a wise choice with it's in built motors and it's F/5 which means you will have the best of both worlds Deep Sky objects and Planetary Objects also you can do Astrophotography with the scope too. It's not to cumberson either easy to pick up and place.

Goto scope wise there's the excellent ETX range the 125 being the biggest, whilst it won't give you the light gathering power of the 8" Newt(Reflector) it is small and portable but deep sky imaging is a no go really as the motors are not good enough for long time exposures which you need for Deep Sky imaging.

With a 1000 pound budget you have other options too which iam sure someone else will advise on but if it were me id go for the 8" explorer scope, Ive had one and miss it dearly lovely scope and great mount.

James

Would the HEQ5 drive be okay for photography at longer exposes, its also available in SKY SCAN PRO GOTO.

Im selling off my rock climbing climbing equipment, that has given me a greater budget to get a more expensive scope than i would have. (That is why ive got such a dilemma over my original choice)

Thanks scotty

Im presuming, that in general, Im on the right track with regard to what you have said. From the portability side of things, is there any other scopes that i could consider that is in my price range? Are there any that can offer me a similar value for money?

Also, how does Sky Scan Pro compare to other goto systems in my budget?

Thanks Scotty

The three main players, Meade, Celestron, Skywatcher all offer GOTO systems that - despite the hype and a few idiosyncrasies - are much the same. The mount is what really matters and in that respect, at its price, the HEQ5 is a benchmark.

So, that leaves the telescope itself. The 8” Newtonian would seem a good choice here as well, particularly when considering your wish to observe as well as image. Imagers will probably steer you towards the same mount with an ED80 PRO but that could push you over-budget and its smaller aperture would significantly limit what you could see visually.

Of course, you can always buy a short-tube APO for imaging later…

Sounds like you have done the research, found your telescope, and stayed in budget!

:wink:

Of course we understand. After all, a budget, by definition, is a guideline!!

So, if you had £1,000 to spend, and you were a 'smidging' over (note the technical accountancy term) what did we get then??

I'm guessing you went for the 200mm on the HEQ5 + Skyscan, or perhaps the 250mm on the EQ6 + Skyscan??

Well at the mo am sellin some rock climbing equipment and its gone for quite a bit more than i expected so coupled with what I was prepared to spend plus the "well for just a bit more i could get a ......" factor, its looking like the 200 HEQ5 + Skyscan. Along way from "£59 just to get me started" non-sence!!!

Archived