SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Sunspot AR1072

Merlin66

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool, that's the group I was projecting, sketching and attempting to photograph yesterday through my resurrected 60mm refractor ... certainly very visible and obvious at all magnifications i used from x50 to x150. It has a name :D

Dave

Are they "naked eye" spots, as I still have a baader filter for my camera...........

No ... but should be visible with binoculars (with appropriate solar film filter of course)

I had a look at the Sun earlier just on the off chance (10x50 bins projected) so was quite surprised to actually see something. Could only just make out two dark patches.

Just been out and had a look myself. It's a beautiful cluster of sunspots. Superb at 100x with an SP10mm but even better with the 6mm SWA at 166x. The detail within the sunspot group is quite staggering. Used a #56 green filter to enhance the detail, first time i've tried. Really worked out beautifully, the sunspot was far crisper than without and the surface detail easier to see.

A great way to start the day! :)

I have tried a #11 which shows up the details slightly better than unfiltered. A #25A red makes it quite difficult to view, but shows up detail quite well as well. I should now try the #56.

I wonder how an OIII filter would act...

Andrew

No idea how an OIII would pan out :) but the #56 is well worth using Andrew. Your 6mm SWA was the star performer this morning! Although the views with the 17mm and 10mm Silvertops ran it close.

Archived