NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My alternative obsy - NOW WITH ADDED ROOF

lukebl

Well,

I've now completed my playhouse/observatory conversion with the delivery of my heavy-duty PVC roof. Not necessarily the most elegant obsy, but eminently practical and I like it! It's been a very breezy day, and it hasn't even shown the slightest ripple when it's strapped down, so it seems very rigid and secure.

newobsy1.jpg

And here it is open:

newobsy2.jpg

Interior:

newobsy3.jpg

And here's an animation of it in action that I couldn't resist making. Note the little door for Ewoks:

generated_19_55_45.gif

Thanks all.

After a couple of clear nights it's proving to be brilliant. No more lugging stuff in at 2am whilst semi-comatose, or ruining the whole finely-balanced setup by tripping over the tripod!

The only problem I have, and I'd like to know if anyone else suffers from this, but after an evening astronomising I simply can't get to sleep however knackered I am. I think that the whole effort of getting the guiding to work and sorting everything else out leads to high adrenalin levels, which doesn't wear off till the morning!

Most non-astronomers think that this hobby is very relaxing, which it can be, but as we all know if you're into imaging it can be very stressful.

Nice obsy there Luke! And a neat looking setup :D

As for the sleeping problems - it may indeed be associated with stress. Not only with a stress as we understand the term in common everyday usage, any kind of psychological excitation. You know that feeling you get before the "big day" of some sort. Our mind is a very powerful mechanism, that can make your body behave in the ways you would not even imagine, and, ironically, it seams to be much less controllable than we are led to believe :)

Marius

Nice obsy there Luke! And a neat looking setup :D

As for the sleeping problems - it may indeed be associated with stress. Not only with a stress as we understand the term in common everyday usage, any kind of psychological excitation. You know that feeling you get before the "big day" of some sort. Our mind is a very powerful mechanism, that can make your body behave in the ways you would not even imagine, and, ironically, it seams to be much less controllable than we are led to believe :)

Marius

Thanks Marius. I've always had odd sleeping patterns so I guess I'll just have to live with it. It's just odd that, of all things, an evening's astronomy should keep we awake. At other times I'm out like a light as soon as the head hits the pillow.

Not as though I'm troubled with any thoughts of my insignificance within the vast cosmos or anything! On the contrary, I rather embrace it.

P.s. If you get too many offers for a Crayford focusser, send them my way.

P.s. If you get too many offers for a Crayford focusser, send them my way.

Unfortunately not too many of them. well, actually none :D Though I'll definitely keep that in mind :)

Marius

• 2 weeks later...

Nice roof,

That wouldnt work where i live, i usually get one major storm during the winter and that would get stripped.

Nothing stopping the wind from the Atlantic :-(

It is so nice having eveything set up though. Bet your lovin it!

Nice roof,

That wouldnt work where i live, i usually get one major storm during the winter and that would get stripped.

Nothing stopping the wind from the Atlantic :-(

It is so nice having eveything set up though. Bet your lovin it!

You bet I'm lovin it!

You'd be surprised how solid and secure the roof is. We haven't had any hurricanes yet, but I'm confident that it'll stay put.

...famous last words

Archived