NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Iridium?

Ok im guessing this has already been posted somewhere, but last night i saw a bright yellow glow moving slowly across the sky west to east.

ive heard these are iridium flares from satellites, however that they are usually white- this was defintaly a bright yellow glow, defintly in the minus magnitudes (im not that great so i wont attempt an estimate).

Im pretty certain it was a satellite.

any help?

cheers

rich

Dude I saw the exact same thing just after 11pm, also moving west to east. Very bright at first (like Sirius but much brighter and bigger) and travelling roughly same speed as aircraft do, but defo not aircraft as no flashing lights. Then started fading out while still quite high in the sky. Checked Heavens Above site but nearest Iridium was an hour later and moving North - South. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't all Iridium's travel N-S anyway? Would really like to know what this was, very excited after seeing it!!

Where were you viewing from? I was in Tunbridge Wells, Kent at the time, 51 degrees N.

im at cumbria, it was about aircraft speed and yes i checked and there were no iridiums.

im really confused, it was waaayy to bright for anything else, ive seen meteorites, satellites, just about everything i can think of and it doesnt fit any of them

Hmmm so it was probably visible over most of the UK. Very interesting. I too have seen my share of meteorites and satellites (and Chinese Lanterns!) and this was most definitely none of them. Weirdest thing is just after it fizzled out 2 nearby churches both started ringing their bells. The second coming perhaps? :D

At 11:00 pm last night, the ISS would have been passing close to Arcturus. The ISS always travels west to east. It would have started dimming around the area of Arcturus as it moved into the Earth''s shadow. You can also check the timing of ISS passes at Heavens Above.

Have another look tonight between 9:46pm and 9:52pm, they'll be another pass. This time a bit lower but still fairly close to Arcturus. From my location, Heavens Above shows it as even brighter than last nights pass, and visible even further towards the east.

Hi...

I can confirm for certain it was the ISS you saw (from what's described). I was aware it was passing so was out and ready for it passing at 2258 and your description of it was spot on.

No doubts!

It's hard to say if it was an Iridium or not. Iridium flares tend to be brief (1 sec or so) and disappear quickly. If you know the time of the sighting you might be able to find information on the satellite on the Heavens Above website or using Stellarium.

Peter

I've seen 4 flares and they all lasted about 10-15 seconds. They started off faint and grew in brightness and then faded out again. I guess the yellow colour of this one (if it was a flare) could be due to volcanic ash that is once again hanging over the UK and Ireland.

IF what you saw did not grow in brightness and then fade out again......................i suspect it may have been a Chinese lantern.

I saw something similar. It was bright and orange and passed straight overhead from SW to NE at around 11pm (surprised me as I'd literally only just stepped out the door).

However, to me it didn't seem to be travelling in a perfectly straight line - it seemed to wobble a bit, which led me to guessing at a chinese lantern. However, if it was seen across the country maybe not - can satellite debris wobble as it re-enters? I'm based in Peterborough...

hey guys, i too, as shibby described, saw something last night going the same direction. from where i was looking it was going in a straight line, farily bright but as it went further across the sky it dimmed until it was only just visable. any ideas guys?

by the way shibby, im about 20mile away from you near spalding :)

Archived