First scope

Looks like I’m going to jump in and get my first scope. I’ve spent the last 6 months learning my way around the sky with a nice pair of 10x50 binos. I’ve seen & learnt lots but am ready to see some more.

I’ve narrowed it down to 3 possibles:

1) SW Heritage 130p Dob

2) SW Explorer 130p (F650) EQ

3) SW Explorer 130p AZ Synscan GOTO

I thought the Dob was the right choice initially but having got some advice from different people, I was told that I might as well go for something on a tripod and as the EQ is not much more, should go for that one. Someone else said that the AZ is much easier to set up that the EQ so should consider that. Problem is I’ve just doubled the potential spend in 2 quick conversations.

Here ‘s the factors to consider:

1) not really thinking of photography/imaging at the moment

2) I’m not on a budget but don’t want to waste money on something I’m not going to get value out of.

3) Want something easy to set up (I reckon I’ll use it more if it’s easier to set up)

4) Not too fussed about GOTO at the moment but may consider if I’m persuaded I’ll get value out of it

5) Want the kids to be able to use it

Writing all this out makes me think the Dob is the right choice (back to where I started ).

I guess it would be helpful to get some views on whether I’m on the right track. Should I spend the extra cash so that I can use the GOTO in the future given that this one is easier than the EQ to set up? Am I limited to moving the scope with the control unit if I get the GOTO or can I disable the motor so that I can move it manually.

Something tells me there will always be a place for a small Dob even if I upgrade in the future. Or am I on completely the wrong track and should I be considering something completely different.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Roger

I agree with ollypenrice, I myself considered a dob once I'd caught the astro bug proper but wanted to get into astrophotography so settled on a newt mounted on an EQ.

In some respects I wish I'd gone for a big dob for visual & got a second scope for the pic stuff.

The dob is quite simply quicker to set up.

Yes - go for a Dob - but treat yourself to the greatest aparture (diameter of mirror) that you can reasonably afford. They are easy to set up and move (no alignment and they break down into easily manageable bits). Download "Stellarium" as a home planetarium so you can plan what you can look at.

1. All three use the same mirrors so optically the should be the same.

2. The 130P Heritage requires a table or something stable to stand it on to be bring it up to a comfortable eye level.

3. Equatorial mounts although look complicated aren't once you understand the principle.

4. The AZ Goto mount cannot be used be used manually (someone might confirm that) but you can bypass the Goto setup and use the buttons to slew the mount.

5. For less than the price of the AZ Goto 130P you can get a 150P Skyliner which is a much better telescope. Or for slightly more 150P EQ3-2

Peter

1. All three use the same mirrors so optically the should be the same.

2. The 130P Heritage requires a table or something stable to stand it on to be bring it up to a comfortable eye level.

3. Equatorial mounts although look complicated aren't once you understand the principle.

4. The AZ Goto mount cannot be used be used manually (someone might confirm that) but you can bypass the Goto setup and use the buttons to slew the mount.

5. For less than the price of the AZ Goto 130P you can get a 150P Skyliner which is a much better telescope. Or for slightly more 150P EQ3-2

Peter

Forgive me to take it the other way around, but I think you forgot this point:

6) Cheap EQ mounts are sensitive to vibrations and make it a challenge to observe on windy conditions. Cheap dob mounts are pretty stable/solid.

However if you can afford a good EQ, such as your HEQ5, then I couldn't agree more with all the points.

3. The AZ Goto mount cannot be used be used manually (someone might confirm that) but you can bypass the Goto setup and use the buttons to slew the mount.

This is correct. You need batteries or a power tank as without them you can only move the scope on the altitude plane which is not recommended other than to set the scope up. However, you can as stated bypass the GoTo and just use the directional controls to slew the scope. I've had 2hrs plus out of 8x AA rechargeable batteries with my Skymax.

Mark

Thanks for the responses guys. I like the look of the larger Skyliner dobs - just wondering how portable they will be. Need to get my hands on one. Also really like the look of the Flex tube dobs.

Thanks again

Roger

Thanks for the responses guys. I like the look of the larger Skyliner dobs - just wondering how portable they will be. Need to get my hands on one. Also really like the look of the Flex tube dobs.

Thanks again

Roger

I've owned 8", 10" and 12" dobsonians. The 8" is really pretty portable - I could easily lift it in one piece and carry it around the garden. The 10" was luggable in one piece but I would not want to go far with it - luckily dobs separate into 2 sections very easily. The 12" was managable in 2 parts - just - and I had to be pretty careful as the optical tube section was both heavy (aorund 45 lbs) and awkward. Because I need to move my scopes around I've now returned to a 10" which I find much easier.

I guess it all depends how strong and fit you are and what sort of portability you are looking for.

hi Roger

I'd agree with the dob route based on what you say and my own experiences too.

not sure where you live but you'd be welcome to have a look at mine to gauge the size and weight etc - I am in Stockport. otherwise go to a local supplier and check out a few different sizes. many people start with an 8" and then move to a 12" (I cut out the middle man). others see a 10" as the ideal compromise. in other words, what John said :D

do consider used - eg U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell albeit now sold but these go quick at this price so don't hang about!

I'd recommend sussing what you want, then wait with cash in hand for the right one to appear on this forum and strike quickly when the right one appears. you'll save a fair bit of cash.

Thanks again guys. All this encouragement to get a bigger scope has got me looking at the options.

Whilst I can do a fair amount from my garden, I'll need to get out for the best skies. I use a piece of parkland nearby, but its a 5-10 min walk and looking at some of the bigger Dobs recommended, I'm guessing they'll be a bit tricky to carry, even when I take the tube off the base.

Shane, thanks for the offer - I'm in Reading so Stockport is a bit far for a research trip.

I forgot to mention the main restriction. Having gathered that the wife was expecting me to buy something resembling a toy from the Early Learning Centre, she had a bit of a fit when she realised I was looking at a 200m Dob. I didn't bother trying to explain the benefits......

Thanks again for all your help.

no worries re the test mission - I agree it's a bit far :D

carrying mosts scopes by hand over distance is no fun. I think you could carry your scope over to your site with a mate but this would again be easier with a dob. to my mind a 200mm dob would be ideal overall based on what you say.

you'll be surprised how much you'll see from the garden but the darker the site the better.

take time to show your wife the moon and Saturn through the scope. she'll be amazed I bet. the other advantage of a dob of whatever size if they do take up less room and can be stored in a dry secure shed with no bad effects - in fact this often helps with cooling.

take your time and make the right choice for you and don't look back. this is an advantage of buying used. you can usually sell for not much less than you pay which is much less than new. with the difference buy your wife some new shoes :p

i own a 130p and its a good scoep for a beginner (seen saturn, dso's in the week or so ive had it) wanting to get into the hobby more. I agree that a larger aperture is better so if you can afford it (unlike me) then go for the 150, although going back to the point of portability, i dont think that you can get much better a scope than the 130 truss tube.

rich

Go for a Dob, really the cheaper EQ mounts are not a joy to use, wobbly tripods, thick treacle grease to hide bearing faults, Plus even with a GOOD EQ mount you need to Polar align, carry out merridium flips (rotating the newt to get the eyepiece in the right place) AND if you want to drive the mount, some sort of power supply.

The Dob, place base in chosen position, fit OTA to base and you are away. How simple is that.

Here ‘s the factors to consider:

1) not really thinking of photography/imaging at the moment

Then a Dob is the one to go for. Prices are really good and you should not settle for a 130P when for not a lot more money you can have a 200P unless the reason you want a 130P is because of size and portability.

Archived