Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nice session with my 4" frac

John

Having set the scope up earlier to snap some piccies to post in the members equipment photos section, as the skies looked good I thought I'd give my 4" Vixen ED refractor a bit of a run out - it's been rather neglected lately as I've been spending more time with my 6" achro.

Well I'm really glad I made this decision ;)

With a bright gibbous moon in the sky, DSO's were out so I stuck to Mars, Saturn, the Moon and some double stars. Conditions must have been rather good as I managed a few "firsts" with this scope:

- 3/4 craterlets on the floor of Plato. A & B were clear as tiny bright "spots" on the darker floor of Plato. C & D are close together and appeared as an elongated bright spot - so I'm claiming them both :(

- Saturn was extemely sharp and contasty. Planetary belts were clearly seen in both hemispheres. I identified 4 moons this evening - Titan, Rhea, Dione and, further off and on the opposite side of the planet I was pleased to pick out Iapetus, at 11th magnitude a challenge for the 4" with the Moon relatively close to hand. I would have seen 5 moons if Tethys had not been hiding very close to the planet this evening.

- Mars was a tiny (7.5 arc seconds in diameter) disk but at 189x I could still pick out the polar cap and the dark wedge shape of the Syrtis Major on the disk.

- Gamma Virginis or Porrima is a tight binary of 2 magnitude 3.5 stars currently separated by 1.5 arc seconds. Previously the smallest aperture I'd split this double with was a 5" refractor but tonight, with very careful adjustments to focus, my 4" Vixen gave me the tiny dark rift between the extremely close componant stars, again at 189x.

- Finally I hunted down another of my favourite challenging binaries, the triple star (in my scope) Iota Casseopea. A lovely split of all 3 componants with the closest pair being about 2.3 arc seconds apart I think.

It's been a while since I've had a decent session with the 4" Vixen and tonight I sort of re-discovered what this lovely (and rather rare) scope can do :)

John we must have had similar thoughts last night as I gave my Astro Tech 4" APO a run out. Viewed Saturn and tried to pick out Tethys crossing the planet but could not detect a shadow. Mars was small but like you was able to detect the polar cap. Viewed a number of doubles but finally ended looking at the Beehive and M35, M36, M37 and M38.

Mark

Sounds like you had a wonderful session out John. And a really steady night too, the moon sounded like it was spectacular.

I was all setup to go out but we had families troubles which meant i missed half of Flashforward and never made it outside. Received a call from Rob this morning to say the seeing was a good as you describe. Just hoping there's a repeat tonight.

I thought conditions were good last night Jahmanson. I was also looking at Saturn and managed the same four moons with my Helios 120, although I could only get Iapetus with averted vision, and in moments of exceptional seeing with direct viewing.

Archived