Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some more of my nice little Vixen

John

The Aztech Alt-azimuth mount + 16" pillar extension + HEQ5 tripod makes a really stable platform for my Vixen ED102SS. The height to the top of the mount is around 5 foot which puts the eyepiece at a decent height even when viewing the zenith area ;)

post-12764-133877443859_thumb.jpg

post-12764-133877443865_thumb.jpg

post-12764-133877443871_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...
Nice!!!!

Does it balance well w/o counterweights with only one scope?

It balances with up to a 25lb scope on just one side although counterweighting makes the axis motions smoother. It's very smooth with a 20lb scope on either side :)

The little Vixen weighs only 8lb so the mount does not even notice it's there !.

• 3 weeks later...
Nice rig! Do you find any difference in stability with the extension on as opposed to mounting on just the tripod?

Dan

Sorry Dan, I missed your question :D

The extension is the same as the Orion (USA) 16" one and pretty heavy. I seems to add stability, if anything.

I swear that telescope is the one Brian Cox was looking through on the last episode of Wonders Of The Universe :)

Nice setup!

I believe it was! He also had the gorgious Vixen Atlux mount. You think he's maybe went and done a Bill Oddie?

I believe it was! He also had the gorgious Vixen Atlux mount. You think he's maybe went and done a Bill Oddie?

I thought I recognised the OP's telescope when I saw it. I guess you'd expect him to have a half decent telescope with his sort of job.

What I was most jealous of was his skies. Pitch black clear skies, absolutely no light pollution, the lucky jammer! :rolleyes:

What I found partially annoying was how he took a picture of the Andromeda Galaxy on his DSLR camera and showed it, making it seem so easy. I bet he's tricked loads of people into going outside with digital cameras to take pictures of it with a single shot (no exposure time) :icon_eek:

Archived