Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What will i see with Evostar?

Hey guys, have recently ordered my scope (Skywatcher Evostar 90mm) waiting for it to be delivered!

and was just wondering, i know views of the planets, moon etc will be good. But what are some of the brighter nebulae, Star clusters i will see? and maybe a galaxy or two? allthough i know that with a 90mm it will be hard, but maybe andromeda?

I started out with a 60mm refractor and managed to see some of the brighter galaxies and nebulae, lots of open star clusters and some globular clusters as well. So a 90mm can see all of these things as well, once you know where to look (get a good book to help you with that). Galaxies will just look like smudges of light (a bigger smudge in the case of M31, the Andromeda Galaxy) as will the majority of nebulae. You should be able to resolve the outer stars of the brighter globular clusters on a good night.

Brilliant! thanks guys that really puts my mind at ease. I went with the refractor over reflector because it was more practical of my situation atm and suited my needs for low maintenance and able to use terrestrially.

However when i ordered it, i was thinking

"Maybe a made a wrong choice"

But you have restored my faith! if you managed to see all that with a 60mm i think i will get some great views with 90mm!

Can anyone tell me how big Saturn and Jupiter will look?

Just have the right expectations, visual astronomy shows less then the pictures.

As an example:

This is what you see on the orion nebula (no color, just structure):

Stargazers Lounge - Talitha's Album: Deep Sky Sketches - Picture

This is a (very good) picture of it:

M42

I am just checking that Astro Photography website of them and I am just shocked. ;)

What a stunning photographs! ...and equipment for that matter. That's a second mortage right there lol. :)

But seriously tho. That's one of the best amateur astro photo's I've seen so far.

thanks guys! so any clue on saturn/jupiter? it will be at 180x

180x will be the absolute max for your scope. 150x would make much more sense on most nights and will show all the detail that the scope is capable of showing.

Saturn and Jupiter will not fill your eyepiece by any means (they don't come anywhere near that in my scope at 340x !) but they will appear large enough to make out the rings, brighter moons and some cloudbands (more of the latter on Jupiter).

As has been said, please don't expect views like the photos you see.

Saturn will look like a little disk with the rings pretty much edge on coming out at either side...You will see the brightest moon Titan as well.

It is small like a lit up yellow marble held at arms length but mighty amazing!

Jupiter is a larger disk say a 1p at arms length and you will make out at least two dark bands accross the planet and four moons!

Mark

Hey guys, have recently ordered my scope (Skywatcher Evostar 90mm) waiting for it to be delivered!

and was just wondering, i know views of the planets, moon etc will be good. But what are some of the brighter nebulae, Star clusters i will see? and maybe a galaxy or two? allthough i know that with a 90mm it will be hard, but maybe andromeda?

I have a 90mm refractor. My experience is that yes the moon looks GREAT. Planets such as Saturn and Jupiter are fantastic ( i could see 4 very distinct bands of cloud on Jupiter as well as its 4 main moons). Some nebulae and galaxies are visible but dont expect to be WOW'd. Star clusters are no problem.................if you can hunt them down you will see them.

Basically you can do a hell of a lot with 90mm.

Andromeda is visible also as a faint fuzzy with a brighter centre.....................much like all galaxies are..

all the above is spot on of course!

one thing you might not be aware of is that the atmosphere often makes the image through a telescope boil and bubble a little. as a result you'll see the planet or what have you, come in and out of focus a bit like a camcorder struggling in a darkened room; this is very normal. once you have the scope focused just watch (without changing the focus) and you'll see moments of real sharpness every now and again. this is increased with higher magnifications and when the seeing is very poor, just accept that if this is the case, you'll only be able to use lower magnifications.

eg tonight the seeing is rubbish and only the moon is visible so I am out (shortly again in a mo) with the scope looking at the moon at quite low magnification. it's ace (but will be better if/when the clouds shift).

thanks guys! so any clue on saturn/jupiter? it will be at 180x

Don't get carried away by magnification. Increased magnification = reduced brightness. It's rather like trying to read a newspaper in the dark ... you can only see the headlines (you only see the big features of your object). Turn the light on (make the image brighter) and you can read the tiny print (see more detail).

My first view of Saturn through a telescope was less than 50x magnification and that was enough to blow me away.

Archived