Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

12" dob almost complete!

My 12" dob is almost complete after undergoing a complete overhaul. The original structure was very inadequete, with collimation almost impossible, very poor mirror cell, rusted spider and generally showing its age. So a few months ago, I approached master scope craftsman Peter Read at SDM telescopes here in Australia and he agreed build a new structure for it. The only original part is the primary and secondary mirrors, everything else is brand new.

Here it is in it's almost finished state...just got the 60mm SV finder, telrad, dewheaters and spider to go in.

sab12005copy.jpg

compare it to its "before" state:

dobbefore.jpg

Wow Sab, that looks impressive, It looks big and bad :)

Best of luck in all that requires good observing for when its finished. :D

That gold on black colour scheme just looks fantastic, I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out :D

Looks really good, you must be well chuffed with it. Please let us know how it performs.

Totally! I'm picking it up this weekend, can't wait!

That looks really something else ! Congrats to you. Who did all the mods (you mentioned you were picking it up...)

I'd be interested to chat as I have a few ideas of my own and would like to pick your brains if I may

Cheers

steve

That looks really something else ! Congrats to you. Who did all the mods (you mentioned you were picking it up...)

I'd be interested to chat as I have a few ideas of my own and would like to pick your brains if I may

Cheers

steve

Thanks! The scope was built by Peter Read of SDM Telescopes. You're more than welcome to chat if you want.

It'll feature..

Feathertouch focuser

Moonlight heated filter slider

Stellarvue 60mm finder

Telrad

Dew heaters for finder, telrad, eyepiece and secondary with 1000 Oaks controller

Primary mirror fan

Delrin truss clamps which resist temp changes unlike wooden split blocks

This might get the balling rolling Steve ;)

That's really nice, and looks really well built

I like how you have the size and F-ratio on there, handy for inquisitive people at star parties

Thanks all. I had the scope out last Saturday in some of the most tremendously worst conditions imaginable... with hurricane for winds strong enough to move the scope in AZ and seeing so bad that it is as rare as 10/10 seeing.... Never mind It served as a familiarisation run and Saturn did show good contrast at times.

The primary has 3 fans blowing on it, which cool it quite quickly, and for the first time ever, I actually got proper diffraction rings when I defocused a star! My old scope had a fully closed off mirror cell with no fans so I don't think I ever observed with the mirror at equilibrium!

Now PLEASE can I have some blumming decent conditions for once. Although here in Melbourne, seeing is famously poor and as for cloudiness, well Melbourne is infamous for being one of the cloudiest places in the known universe.

That is sooooooooo impressive. I'm really pleased for you.

(Of course you realize you've just invited the cloudiest skys ever)

haha I live in Melbourne so I don't have to buy scopes for it to be constantly cloudy and miserable for weeks on end :D

Archived