Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newcomer saying Hello

Daisydoo

Just thought I would say Hello as I have spent a few weeks reading through the forum. I have enjoyed looking at the stars & identifying constellations for many years. Usually fueled by the appearance of Orion each Autumn. I have never looked through a telescope but have decided to treat myself to one, although not yet decided which one.

Hi Daisy, Welcome to SGL :D

I'm glad you chose this forum as there is a lot of very good help to be had here!

Well i can give you some advice on first scopes however there are a few things to take into consideration first :)

what kind of budget do you have?

do you want to try astrophotography at all?

and will you have travel far to use your scope in dark skies or will your backgarden be good enough?

Regaurds,

Ian has a good point there!

about 3 months ago i knew that i wanted to get into astronomy so got myself so binoculars, a very good starting point!

Along with a good book, like "Turn left at Orion" and a free PC software like Stellarium, there was much to see!

It is only now 3 months later that i am actually purchasing my first scope!

Thank you for your warm welcome.

Astorix. I haven't set myself a budget as such. I originally was looking at the Celestron Nexstar 8 SE but resisted purchasing it for fear of making an expensive mistake. I have since been looking at the Skymax 127 EQ3-2. I'm aware it only has 5" aperture compared to the 8" of the Nexstar, but considering I have never looked through a telescope before would I really miss what I have never experienced in these very early days. Besides the cost does sit much more comfortably with me.

Most of my viewing will be from my light polluted south facing back garden. ( I live approx 10 miles from a large city center & a couple of miles from a large town.) The scope needs to be easily portable as I am only 5 foot tall & I would also like to take with me when I go camping to darker sky areas.

Hi Daisy,Thanks for the reply.

Let me first say, if you are purchasing your first scope, there is no way you need to spend that much money on a beginner scope. There is so much to see with a low entry scope that would be more than adequate, however seeing as you are prepared to pay slightly more this can benefit you!

The Skymax would be a much better choice compared to the celestron for a first scope. As you correctly stated there is no need to have an 8" appature for your first scope, most people are happy with the standard 5" that are found on most standard reflectors.

My suggestion to you would be to stick with a reflector for now as they offer the best all round viewing for a beginner. To be honest with you, something like the Skywatcher 150 on an EG3-2 mount would be more than sufficient for your first scope. With this scope you would see excellent views of the moon, planets, galaxies and hundreds of DSO's. Plus if you say you live in light polluted area, the larger appature would greatly benefit you, especially when used with a LP filter!

Also, the skywatcher explorers are quite mobile and would be easier to move around than say a Dobsonian. Although the Dobsonian has a higher appature they are quite large and would be a bit more difficult to transport around.

At the end of the day, if this is your first scope, anything up from a 130mm appature will see you fine, and there is no need to spend that much money to begin with.

Plus once you have had a scope for a few months, Appature fever will kick in and you will probably want to upgrade anyway!

Also a good book will see you right and is essential for getting the most of the night sky! and saves a lot of frustration when gazing through the EP!

I would also recommend downloading a free PC software like Stellarioum, which gives you great simulations of what is in the sky at the moment.

Hope this helps. :D

Regaurds,

Archived