Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First surface mirrors?

scogyrd

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Scogyrd, I had mine from Index of / in America, a very nice guy to deal with, but slightly expensive due to the postage and import tax.

Thanks for the speedy reply but that site never seems to work when I try to log on it.:(

I was hoping for somewhere in the UK though. I've found a couple of sites here but they don't look like they've been updated since 1996.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I had already found most of the sites mentioned but was put off because they either weren't in the UK, wanted you to buy loads of them or their websites looked very old, but I think I'll buy one off Welcome to Vacuum Coatings Scientific Mirrors homepage now I know they're legit.

Once again thank you for the replies everyone.

Try E-bay, I got one a couple of weeks back. Just had a look and he has still got 3 left. Got a smaller mirror listed as well. He is a quick with his postage which helps.

Good luck

Bob White

Is this them?

First Front Surface Mirror mil spec 154x210mm laser opt on eBay (end time 04-Apr-10 13:13:29 BST)

If so I think it might be a touch small so I'll probably try scientificmirrors first.

Thank you for helping though, much appreciated.

Was just going to suggest laser hobby suppliers as they use surface mirror for lasers. Now this MAY help, it may not, but you can make a surface mirror fairly easily.

Firstly, you use acrylic mirror, which, if you've never seen it is amazing, it comes in varying thicknesses but 3mm is common, it's acrylic so you can cut it, drill it and file it, if I showed you a piece you'd be shocked it was acrylic!

anyway, the laser guys have discovered you can make it into surface mirror, basically you take paint stripper on a cloth and wipe off the backing, then wipe with acetone, then quickly rinse off. if you want more info i can get it for you.

Acrylic mirror can be had on ebay for about £4.00 includng postage for an A4 sized piece.

ADDITIONAL INFO

Here you go, bear in mind that when you get the short glimpes of mirror at the beginning, that isn't the quality of mirror, it has a plastic protective film on it :-

DIY Front Surface Mirror

This is unrelated to your project but interesting nontheless, it does however show the quality of acrylic mirror towards the end when he pulls off the film :-

Looks like Trent Plastics are going to be selling a lot of acrylic mirrors.......

That's where I'll be getting them from, I meant to post the link in case anyone else was interested but forgot.

Trent Plastics Fabrications Ltd - Acrylic, Polycarbonate, Mirror, Colour & Tinted Acrylic, Tube & Rod (Powered by CubeCart)

Once again thanks for all the help and advise everyone.

Dang! should have got into them for comission!

I don't think you'll have lost out on much commission, about 80p by my reckoning, so if I ever meet you at a sgl meet, or anything like that, I'll buy you a pint.:(

I have a front surface mirror in very good condition.

Seems as though you are fixed up now though.

The one I have is 40cm. x 25.5cm x 5mm.

I took this picture with it lying on the floor. It is reflecting the window frame and ceiling.:(

Ron.

post-13213-13387743778_thumb.jpg

Caution guys..........

To work effectively with Bino's the surface accuracy of the mirror has be be at least 1/4 wave. Not sure the plastic mirrors are good enough.

I tried a front surface mirror form a photocopier, it was about 6mm thick and even that was not as good as I'd hoped for.

Ken

Archived