Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help needed- What scope to buy?? :-)

Hello everyone! Since watching the new documentry ' Wonders of the solar system'

something has triggered inside me to buy a telescope. I have always had a fassination with the night sky but until now I've decided to take a step and see it a little closer. I'm looking at spending about £100-£150 new or second hand. Thanks, I hope to here from you soon :-)

What you can see with any scope depends a lot on how good you sky is. If you are in the middle of a city you are going to be limited to the moon, planets and a few of the brighter dso's

If you can get a scope that is portable enough to load into a car and take it away from light pollution well the universe is your oyster

Size mostly. Transporting and setting up a big scope can be a bit of a pain, especially given the changeable weather in the UK.

I wanted a big dob. I was very tempted by the 16" lightbridge but as I live in a first floor flat and would be storing it inside would I be fit enough to carry it up and down stairs? I settled on the 10" and Im glad I did as its heavy enough for me.

My own back garden was sheilded from direct lighting. The amount of faint fuzzies I could see was only limited by my knowledge of where they were. Now, due to a new housing development I have 2 street lights shining directly onto my observing site. My eyes cannot get dark adapted and Im suffering badly as a result.

I could see over a hundred galaxies in the ursa major/virgo/leo area last year. Now I can see 8.

Welcome Storm:::looks like everyone pretty well covered it , keep in mind, ease of use ,portability , weather or not you will ever take pics with it, eq tripod are nice but , more work setting them up, motors or no motors, but it looks like 6 inch eq or 4 inch refractor non Apo.

Have fun, let us know what you choose...

RCFMitch

hello guys im like in the same boat, not sure wich scope to buy got a couple hundred quid to spend. just need advise on wich scope, i live in a city and pretty dificult for me to get around, but i got some good ppl who will help get me out a liverpool city start star watching wich has been my passion for years, but now i want to get in the know how and start looking at planets and the soler skys. thanks john here....

Archived