Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Talk to beavers about Astronomy...HELP!

Coco

Hi

I've been roped in by my son's beaver group ( 6-7 year olds..)

He been bragging about my Astronomy etc.. :headbang:

They have asked me to do a 20-30 minute talk on Astronomy so they can work towards there badges...

Where do I start and can anyone recommend some software I have a laptop and projector..

if the skies clear it will be Ok because I'll take me 12" dob... That impress them :mad:

Any thoughts would be very welcome... :)

Cheers

Guy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do it when the moon is available - they don't care for faint fuzzies. I've done such a talk for the girl equivalent age group (Brownies). For brownies, they have specific things they need to do for the badge:

- Learn the story of some constellations and how to find them

- Learn how to find the North Star

- Look through a telescope

I have a slide deck that covers this that I'd be happy to send you (Powerpoint), PM me or reply with an email address if you'd like it.

- Richard

A green lazer pointer to outline constellations as you tell their stories might be a good idea.

If it's foul weather, an indoor plantarium (coupled with lazer pointer, they love lazers) thingy might be worth investing in, that way at least they'll have something to look at, being so young asto-physics might just skim over their heeds a tad.

Stellarium should look great on a projector - show them whats up - zoom in on mars or saturn - then show them in the scope outside.

You could also name/demo a few constellations - and then switch on the constellation art - They'll love it looking for bears and ladies in the night sky afterwards - that should easilly fill up a half hour :)

Thanks fellas..

Ive got a 5meg green laser better be careful.. :mad:

There are some good ideas... keep em coming.. :headbang:

Maybe we could get an SGL Beaver/Brownie pack together :)

Guy

remember to take some logs....beavers love wood!

erm, yeah keep it simple and you'll be okay, kids love facts and things that are big, they'll probably end up asking silly questions but that's cool.

try and go for the moon and Saturn (though Saturn might be past their bedtime)

When I helped the Brownies do their astro badges the leader gave me the requirements for doing the badge from her badge book. There was things such as learning the story of at least one constellation and being able to find the north pole star. You might have more free choice with the Beavers, have you checked with the Beaver leader?

And beware, no matter how much brushing up you do on your astro facts, with so many young inquisitive minds all together in one room the questions can get pretty tough to answer!

Presentation emailed - let me know if it doesn't arrive (large file).

Here's a kit where they can cut out and make their own planisphere. You're at a higher latitude, so it won't be precisely correct, but close enough. Or perhaps someone in your region (Greenwich?) has a similar kit.

Star Chart - National Research Council Canada

-Richard

Coco

Like others have already mentioned Stellarium through a large screen works really well. I went to an event last year were Paul Money from Sky at Night magazine used it using a video projector.

Alan

Celestron CPC 925

Moonlite focuser (on the way)

Vixen LV 40

Celestron E-Lux 25

Televue Radian 18

Televue Nagler T6 9

Canon 1000D

Presentation emailed - let me know if it doesn't arrive (large file).

Here's a kit where they can cut out and make their own planisphere. You're at a higher latitude, so it won't be precisely correct, but close enough. Or perhaps someone in your region (Greenwich?) has a similar kit.

Star Chart - National Research Council Canada

-Richard

Got it Richard... perfect... :)

Guy

Thank you everyone... its given me conidence to walk in the den.. Lol...

Cheers

Guy

Well done! I have done a few of these at schools and for small groups. What is great is that relativity goes down really sweetly to open minds. As the big E said, 'Common sense is the name given to that set of prejudices accumulated by age 18.'

Olly

i got roped into taking my scope down to the local brownies club with my daughter, set up the scope and called them out thinking that it would be one at a time and 30 6 year olds came running out !

one tried to pick the scope up, the others went though my bag of eyepieces, finger prints all over, but they had a great time which took over 2 hours for all of them to view M42 and Venus.

I think building an SGL sticky - information pack - for education would be a good thing.

Richards (Ottup) presentation was great - would have gone down well at the board room also :(

Guy..

Excellent, Guy. Congratulations, hopefully you have planted some seeds in young minds. Now you've opened Pandora's box though: you should expect to be asked to repeat the performance - word gets around the community of cub/brownie leaders.

Glad the slides worked. Did the sky cooperate and let you include some actual observing?

- Richard

Archived