NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Helios 25 x 100 Quantum-4

I'm interested in getting some big binoculars for deep sky viewing. I currently use my Celestron 15x70 but fancy trying a bigger pair with more magnification.

I have seen the Helios 25 x 100 Quantum-4 but can't find any reviews.

Can anyone give me any feedback on these binoculars or suggestions for alternatives around the same price bracket. Also I have the Horizon 8115 2-Way Heavy Duty Tripod that I got from FLO. It does say that it is suitable for binos upto 100mm Diameter so I assume this will be suitable?

Many thanks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Binoculars are very personal, much in the same way EPs are.

I've looked at the "helios" 25x100s on line, and they look like more excellent Kunming United Optics produce, of which I can only speak very highly of.

The best way to choose binoculars is to phsically inspect them as best you can before deciding. If that isn't an option, then, as with so many things in life, you take a gamble. If you buy form FLO, they have an excellent service record, and will be able to exchange them for others (I'm sure).

As for you tripod, again, until you test it you can only go off what the bumf tells you.

Thanks yeti. I can't get to try them out so will probably bite the bullet and order from FLO tomorrow. I was hoping that someone had first hand experience with them and give a little feedback on sharpness across the fov and general comments about useability on a standard tripod.

Anyway, many thanks for taking the time to comment, it's appreciated.

CN Report: Bincoular Tests & Comparisons - CN Report

Here you have one , see Oberwerk 25x100 IF wich is thesame bino.

A good bino, IMHO. FWIW, i own an BA8 series 22x85 (Helios Apollo)

The Quantum 4 25x100 would be my second choice.

About the mount. It's too light.

A fellow observer has one in our club, i evaluated it. I find it too light, the head i mean. The tripod may do.

Those are heavy and big binos.They have strong magnification and do need a substantial mount wich unfortunately sometimes cost more then the bino itself.

Ah, I didn't realise they were the same as the Oberwerk.....thanks.

I have placed an order with FLO so will give the tripod a try......using it with my 15x70 it's fine but I had the feeling that I may be pushing it's limits with the 25x100s.

Regards

I have the 8115 tripod with some 25x100, show a huge amount of stars under good skies, everywhere there are star clusters! The tripod works OK, but you need to be careful with the balance and need to tighten the axes down quite hard. Get a stool so you can keep the tripod centre tube as shirt as possible. Also mount the bins so the handle comes out the front, easier to use. I find my handle has some 'looseness', not sure how I can stop it. You'll be limited to low altitudes, unless you have a rubber neck.... a parallelogram mount would be better, but more costly. You'll need a 1" mount extension from Scopestuff in the US to allow the mounting plate to attach when the eye separation is narrow.

I recently saw a good (custom modified) Telescope House SkyRaker mount that did a good job on some 25x100, put on top of a surveyors tripod.

As mentioned, these things ain't light!

Cheers

PEterW

After ordering them yesterday they arrived first thing this morning. Super service from FLO as usual, many thanks.

I quickly popped up home from the office to set them up on the tripod and I'm actually quite impressed at the sturdiness of it. They are very heavy things but I think this helps keep the whole thing pretty steady.

A quick test of the binos, setting focus on a chimney breast about 100 yards away was very easy with the IF. Saw a little chromic aberration but I expected this but the view was very very sharp, much sharper than my Celestron 15x70s. The view also seemed to have more contrast and pop to it.

Now really looking forward to some clear nights to really test these beauties.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I have a low stool that I can use to keep the tripod as low as possible and I'm also thinking about getting on of those ScopeTeknix Zodiac ST90 counterbalance binocular mounting things but need to do a little research as to whether they will be ok to use with these binos. Wonder if FLO has anything like this?

Anyway, thanks again guys.

Congrats on the new bins Martin. Those are one serious piece of kit. They should really pull out those faint fuzzies for you.

What tripod are you using with them?

Thanks, can't wait some clear skies:o

I currently have them fixed on a Horizon 8115 2-Way Heavy Duty Tripod, pretty steady but I'm considering a parallelogram mount or similar to make viewing easier.

Thanks, can't wait some clear skies:o

I currently have them fixed on a Horizon 8115 2-Way Heavy Duty Tripod, pretty steady but I'm considering a parallelogram mount or similar to make viewing easier.

I also have a Horizon 8115 and it works great with my 20X90s. I would LOVE a parallelogram mount but for me the weight portability of such a mount would be counter productive to my needs.

I also have a Horizon 8115 and it works great with my 20X90s. I would LOVE a parallelogram mount but for me the weight portability of such a mount would be counter productive to my needs.

I know what you mean. I haven't had chance to have a long observing session with the bins yet so I'll wait until then to decide whether or not I can cope with my set up as is.

Hi Martin,

I'm considering getting the Helios 25 x 100 bins and will be very interested to hear how you get on with them.

Hope you get clear skies soon!

Regards,

Jon

Jon, I'll post up a review, not technical because I'm not experienced enough but I'll try and give an honest open minded view on how I get on.

I'm really interested in their usability with my standard tripod but especially looking forward to how the perform with deep sky viewing.

No worries Martin, I'm not technically minded either and a total newbie to boot.

Once sorted with bins I'm hoping I can use my MkII Benbo tripod, a beast of a thing, along with a reclining garden chair and perhaps a beer or two for casual observing during the summer months. Nice... :(

Just thought I'd share my new purchase with you all after a total change in my star gazing direction.

They are Optical Hardware BM45 (not n) 20/40x100 Observation Binoculars

4489044777_f9eeba0cd0.jpg

4489046805_77c974dcee.jpg

4489050881_208cc62c5b.jpg

4489698400_1a282710d2.jpg

4489703616_ec1f3893ca.jpg

A review to follow if we ever get any clear skies:)

The Helios Quantum 4's which I've not even used and other stuff are now for sale on here.:(

Thanks for looking guys

Wow Martin - I was gonna ask which way you were heading in astronomy - they look the business mate :(

Thanks....I'm usually pretty laid back but I'm a little exited by these, the suspense waiting to use them is already killing me.:D

Congratulations Martin.

I just think this series of binocular are excellent for DSO work. I have the Garrett 100/45°. I even pop a 7mm UWAN in one tube to give me 75x.

You will love these.

Clear Skies for the upcoming first light.

Glen.

Serious bins on a serious looking tripod, they do look the business. :(

Thanks Darren, they had their first outing last night and they are beautiful to use. The tripod really works well with them and moving around the sky is smooth as silk.

I'm in love.:D.......with the wife of course.:D

I'll post a first light report later.

Regards

Archived