NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Les Granges report

MartinB

Some of you may have been, others may be thinking about it and some of you have probably never heard of Les Granges. Having just come back from a 2 week stay there I thought I would post a report to give you some idea whether you think it might be worth considering.

Before I go on it's worth saying that I have no financial interest in Les Granges and have not received any financial or other inducement to write this article. In fact, it isn't in my best interest to promote the place since it will get harder to book and more expensive!

What is Les Granges?

A few years ago Olly Penrice decided he had spent enough of his life teaching English to the youth of Sutton in Ashfield and decided to find a good place to pursue his astronomy hobby with a view to providing an astro holiday venue. He purchased Les Granges 7 years ago and has been developing it since this time. He started taking guests 3-4 years ago. He has 2 imaging set ups, a site for visitors bringing their own equipment and a permanently housed 20" dobsonian. In addition to observing and imaging visitors can sign up to a short course in astronomy.

You can bring your own kit or you can opt to pay extra to have access to the astro gear. I brought my own kit and also paid the extra (actually I didn't pay the extra because I was staying for 2 weeks but this may not be a regular concession)

The farmhouse has 5 beds in 2 bedrooms. It can be taken over and rented as a gite or guests can stay on a B+B basis with the option of evening meal.

Les Granges lies in the hinterland between the French high alps to the north and east, Provence to the south and the Rhone valley to the west. It is in the department of Haute Alpes just east of Drome and north of Haute Provence lying on the eastern edge of a rugged area known as Les Barronies, a region of deep gorges, fast flowing turquoise streams, scented lavender fields, high hills guarded by limestone crags and ancient villages perched in impossibly precarious positions.

The region claims to have 300 days of sunshine a year and I suppose a similar number of starry nights. Summers are hot, winters are short but severe. The night time temperatures when we arrived were dropping to -10. On our first day it snowed for 24 hours.

Les Granges itself is on the edge of a small hamlet called Etoile St Cyrice. It sits at 900m at the top of a hill. The larger village of Orpierre is in the valley and is a big rock climbing centre (I climbed there 18 years ago when I was young and fit). The nearest town is Laragne, a few miles to the south and a little further on is Sisteron.

The Accommodation

Olly stresses that Les Granges is a country farm house, not some bijou retreat for townies. It is very comfortable and cosy. There are wood burning stoves in the living room and main bedroom and a wood burning range in the kitchen. There are also electric radiators in every room. The rooms are spacious and well equiped. Olly is on hand in the event of any problems and makes sure there is a plentiful supply of wood. 5 could stay comfortably here but more can be accomodated by making use of a bed settee.

The gite is stocked with a range of DVDs and plenty of music CDs. If you like jazz you will be ok, however, Olly doesn't do hip hop, garage and the like!

The Astro Kit

There are 2 permanent set ups housed in small sheds which roll back. 2 tripod based EQ6s one with a Tak FSQ 85 and the other with a TEC 140 triplet apo. Both are supreme imaging instruments and provide a sensible combination of focal lengths.

There are two Atik 4000s one mono and one OSC. 2 computers are available which use Artemis capture and Astro Art. I'm not quick at picking up new software and after 4 years with Maxim I found it difficult to get to grips with a completely different set of programmes. One option is to bring your own laptop and possibly your own camera.

The 20" dob is housed in another roll back shed. Olly doesn't make great claims for the optics but I found it to be a very good performer and very smooth and easy to track.

The position for guests own kit is on a high point above the permanent set ups. This is a good position from the point of view of seeing and unobstructed views but is open to the wind. Being galaxy season I was imaging a long focal length and lost one night to the breeze, on other nights it seemed the perfect place to be.

The views from east through to west are unobstructed. The sheds can block the view a little from the permanent set ups but the all round views from the guest site is excellent.

In the very near future Olly is going to be converting one of the sheds into an observatory. He is also mulling over upgrading the mounts.

Day time activities

This is a remote location, exceptionally peaceful and quiet. If you want to go clubbing then Aix en Provence is 90 minutes away! However, if you want to crash out reading, soaking up the sun and nattering with Olly about things astro then this is the place to be. Put your feet up and enjoy the wonderful views. Alternatively the area has lots of great walks (the gite has a full range of maps). Cycling is big here,on and off road, fine if you like big hill climbs. In the summer you can go canoeing and swimming in the rivers, the are some spectacular drives such as the Col de Perty with many small villages and towns well worth a visit. Aix en Provence is the place to see and be seen and certainly worth a day out.

The nearby town of Laragne has a superb restaurant with a 15E menu du jour to die for.

The Sky

The adjacent hamlet has about 10 sodium type lights all fitted with deflectors to stop upward stray light. These are fully screened from the scope sites. I was imaging M81 and 82 when they were directly over the village, without an LP filter (they are also a lot lower than in the uk) and captured the integrated flux). Aix is about 60 miles away and throws up some faint light up to about 10 degrees in the SW. And that is it, pitch black skies other wise. On nights of good transparency I was finding mag6 stars without difficulty. M13 was plain enough with averted vision.

Imaging with these sky conditions was a joy. At F7 and F8 I was running 15min luminence subs with a plain ir block filter and getting background readings of around 650ADU. It was great to not have to deal with the usual LP colour bias and gradients.

The dob was great fun. One of the hightlights was seeing the flame with clear dark markings. It wasn't a challenge, it was just plain to see. Olly has seen the horse head. I wasn't using filters and couldn't make it out). M51 was spectacular, clear spiral structure and the bridge between the galaxies clearly visible. The arms of M101 were also easily visible. Central markings within the black eye of M64, prominent dark lane in the needle and a fantastic view of the Siamese Twins. The dob gave a fine view of Saturn and Mars but the TEC was supreme on Saturn with a glorious contrast rich view of the disc and sharp ring definition.

I spent most of my time just peering up working through the constellations and thinking the usual philosophical thoughts that go through your head at times like this, such as would 2 pairs of socks have been warmer than 1.

Best time to go?

Well March was good! Cold though. I was glad of a down jacked at night, worn over 2 fleeces and thermal T shirt.

It starts to warm up properly by April. Strangely I think June sounds like a good time, quite apart from the fact that the lavender is out then you do get around 4 hours of astronomical dark at this southerly latitiude and , of course, the chance to go for some those low lying targets such as the lagoon which are just out of reach for many of us.

The colours in Autumn must be wonderful and this is a great place to get that perfect M31, the baby Q is made for it. Winter is viable and Olly has a lot of return customers at this time of year.

Overall

I went with my wife who is not remotely interested in astronomy and we both had a wonderful time. It is such a relaxing, peaceful place and the area is stunning. Olly is great company and fantastically helpful. Often we came in from a day out to find that he had built up the wood burner. We will definitely be going back.

Is it perfect - it would be if the lap tops could run Maxim!

The pics

1) The village viewed from close to the guest imaging spot

2) Les Granges from nearby track

3) Cosy sitting room

4) The view south, Olly doesn't always stand there

5) It's a starry place

post-12794-133877434986_thumb.jpg

post-12794-133877434992_thumb.jpg

post-12794-133877434999_thumb.jpg

post-12794-133877435006_thumb.jpg

post-12794-133877435013_thumb.jpg

What a tempting prospect. I think I would need to get to a stage where I wouldn't need to be saying. "What do I do next Olly.

Looks an Ideal place he chose for the life he wanted to pursue though. Very nice indeed.

That's your batteries recharged Martin.:)

Ron.

It sounds gorgeous...

I love France and I love peaceful retreats.

BUT...Are the roads and terrain anything like the area just above Nice?

Are we talking narrow roads with hairpin bends, unspeakable drops and no crash barriers?

In a nutshell...could the Italian Job have been filmed here?:)

It sounds gorgeous...

I love France and I love peaceful retreats.

BUT...Are the roads and terrain anything like the area just above Nice?

Are we talking narrow roads with hairpin bends, unspeakable drops and no crash barriers?

In a nutshell...could the Italian Job have been filmed here?:)

Lulu, don't be so faint hearted - and you a lioness of the blackboard jungle!!! A bit twisty in places but hey...

Thanks for the kind review Martin. What is the BEST aspect of Les Granges? That's easy to answer; the guests!

Olly

Lulu, don't be so faint hearted - and you a lioness of the blackboard jungle!!!

Ha!

Grrrroooooowwwllllll! :mad:

I'm a brave girl about a lot of awkward stuff, but I'm a complete wuss when it comes to heights! :)

Mind you, I've managed to drive several times over this bridge over the Seine estuary, so I won't let a big drop separate me from a good time!

wow lulu, thats one bizzare looking bridge :)

looks like a big ol` ramp...... just have to get to 88mph and......woosh hello 1985 :mad:

does it swing and sway? those bridges have me gripping the door handles till my knuckles turn white,

john

It's stable, but it's a real test of nerve.

I have to look straight ahead at the cars on the road, and not to the left or the right (or up ahead at the apex!:)).

My best mate has to talk to me in a quiet, reassuring manner.

I put my foot down and just drive - pretty quickly.

I actually appear to be quite calm outwardly (according to Nicnac) but my palms always break out in a sweat.

The worst part is - there are actually two consecutive bridges, and they are just as bad as each other! :mad:

...AND I'LL BE DRIVING OVER THEM AGAIN IN JULY!!!

AAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Never mind...I've done it before and I'll do it again.

So what I want to know is.....how do the roads around Olly's Astro-Pad compare to the Bridge from Hell?

I've cycled over that bridge en route for Spain. It counted as a climb in the Tour de France and carried points for the King of the Mountains prize...

The drive down can be done in one long day though it is nicer to break the journey somewhere where they have restaurants and sell wine. Not too difficult to track down in this country!!

Olly

I've cycled over that bridge en route for Spain. It counted as a climb in the Tour de France and carried points for the King of the Mountains prize...

Are you sure you weren't lost Olly? I've been over that bridge a few times towing a caravan - it's Normandy over the Seine estuary.

We drove down from Chesterfield in 2 days taking a detour east to Nancy to see my daughter. On a climbing trip to nearby Orpierre it was a straightforward run from Dover in one longish day - around 600 miles. The speed limit is 80 and the roads are much quieter than over here. The last leg from Grenoble is spectacular.

Are you sure you weren't lost Olly? I've been over that bridge a few times towing a caravan - it's Normandy over the Seine estuary.

By Gad, you are right, Martin. I thought it was the one over the Loire.

However, I have also cycled over the Pont de Normandy - in combat, in fact, during the Tour of the Estuary. My last real headbanging competitive outing. Eighty miles in four hours up and down lots of climbs and in driving sleety rain. Nearly killed me. Still, it is easier than taking an astrophoto...

Olly

Archived