NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Burning DVD images issue

I am hoping that someone can help me with an issue I have with my PC.

I want to burn some of my planetary images onto a Disc that I can play on a DVD.

I have bought a burner & the software. My PC is meets the speed requirements but the software keeps crashing.

Whilst I was investigating this I noticed that althiough I have 512k RAM installed (I used the crucial memory test to confirm this) Windows is only recognising 224k whicvh is too small for the application to run.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

512K is not usually sufficient for using burning software Nero uses up huge ammounts.....It could be a physical memory problem, if not you need to adjust your virtual memory settings. If it still won't work you'll need to up it to 1meg at least.

What software are you using?

Just worth a mention

If your puter uses onboard graphics, that chip can be set to allocate some

of your main memory for its own use and that gives an unexpected memory count

sometimes.

I was going to mention that one Phil...it's the probable cause me thinks..

Only one thing for it.....go for the 1 meg!!

The mystery deepens.

I opened the case and checked the memory.

The crucial memory guide said I had 4 slots but the memory is a single section that fits into the 2 slots.

The memory Vdata memory and says it is 512 but Windows is only picking up 256 ( I guess the graphic ard is using 32Mb)

I have ordered 2x256 memory cards and will replace the current memeory. If it works I will get 512 or id not it shows the slot is duff.

I'll let you know.

Cheers

Ian

Ian

When you were inside the case, did you notice if you have a seperate graphics card, or is part of the motherboard? IF the latter, then it will be sharing RAM, if it's seperate, it won't and you have another issue!!!

Sorry to be thick here, but could you explain the memory and slots again!! Have you got two or four?

As with Daz, are you saying you have one stick of RAM but two slots on the motherboard? Sounds like a mATX motherboard with onboard graphics. Although the onboard graphics wouldn't eat that much into the memory. The highest possible setting is normally 128Mb for shared graphics.

Hopefully your two sticks of 256Mb will sort things out.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Final update

I bought a 512 memory chip from PCWorld and it has double the number of chips that my current memory has so despite what the sticker says the computer came with 256 not 512..... (I now have 768 #with 32 being used for graphics)

I also found that the software that came with the camera is able to convert AVI's and burn on the a CD-R disc so it can be read by the DVD. It does not create menus etc but it does work.

So the DVD burner is totally unecessary :insects1:

I may look at how to burn DVD's but that can go on th eback burner for now.

Cheers

Ian

(A little poorer & wiser)

Archived