Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Possible discovery - Logged with BAA minor planets and comet sections

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has to be said, this is all VERY exciting!

what has stood out to me Nick, is that although we all like taking pretty pictures, its good to actually look at what we've taken, and then compare that to a previous shot. I bet in some of the images gathered by amateurs over the years there have been supernovae, disappearing stars, dimming stars, loads of things that have gone un-noticed because they weren't looked at carefully.

Huge thanks for keeping us updated on the fate of the icy fellow, I bet you are getting quite attached to it :) Great work on this!

Tim

Assuming we get a clear night, do you think the MN190 with H9 camera would get anything on it? I'd love to have a go.

Im wondering how best to track and guide the OTA if so, is the comet bright enough to use as the guide star?

Cheers

It has to be said, this is all VERY exciting!

what has stood out to me Nick, is that although we all like taking pretty pictures, its good to actually look at what we've taken, and then compare that to a previous shot. I bet in some of the images gathered by amateurs over the years there have been supernovae, disappearing stars, dimming stars, loads of things that have gone un-noticed because they weren't looked at carefully.

Huge thanks for keeping us updated on the fate of the icy fellow, I bet you are getting quite attached to it :) Great work on this!

Tim

I think McNeils nebula near M78 was discovered in similar circumtances.:mad:

TJ

I have seen images which show the split using a 10" SCT, but there is nothing to stop you trying to get it with the superb optics of the 190...

Take no longer than 120s exposures, ideally less. Don't bin, use a CLS filter only, and use the FT Deconvolution free plug in for Maxim

Comet with my 4" refractor is not bright enough with the DSI (mag 11) as a guide star, but the MN190 maybe? If I used the Atik 314L as the autoguider , it may work

Really good luck mate...and post your images..

Ken, it's the best advice anyone has given me in years...thank you so much for the chat at SGL Imaging day.....a wealth of great knowledge only comes with time and great skill and dedication, and you have that in buckets!

Submitted my observations from yesterday using FTN to the IAU, report was accepted in their format (Astrometrica). That was a real learning curve for me...but thankfully helped by some great people including those at the IAU.

Made an animation last night of the images from the 17th, 20th and 25th and the secondary is drifting away from the main nucleus, and also fading in magnitude at the moment.

Stick the two images I have uploaded into a blink comparison and you'll see it clearly. Michigan Uni said this would happen

post-14410-133877436051_thumb.jpg

post-14410-133877436054_thumb.jpg

Nice 1 Nick... Glad you've got the format sorted out... Iain Melville gave a good talk on Astrometrica at the IoW Star Party - looks complicated!

Whats the next plan with Siding Springs do you know? Did they put a larger scope on it in the end?

Cheers,

Richie

Not so much complicated as just sorting out the data/cleaning it up before running the data reduction routines.. and then manually zooming and plotting the positions of the secondary/tertiary components

A meeting at Caltech was held yesterday where it was discussed putting the 5m on it...still awaiting the outcome of that

oooo - cool (the 5m) :)

Yes, I think it will be a good while until I start with Astrometry... Although astrometry.net does make a very useful tool to figure out your position, Field of view, etc. Did you ever manage to get that running under Cygwin?

Cheers,

Richie

Okay. I have a 1 hour imaging run tomorrow on FTN, which will be under remote access from Cardiff, will hopefully post up the images tomorrow evening...the secondary is moving away and fading..

FOV and coordinates from the planned run here

post-14410-133877436141_thumb.jpg

Just got this!

MPEC F87: OBSERVATIONS OF COMETS issued today publishes observations of CK07Q03a and CK07Q03b by N. Howes using 2m FTN

Comet C/2007 Q3 (Siding Spring is now designated by its two fragments: CK07Q03a (primary) and CK07Q03b (secondary)

Just got this!

MPEC F87: OBSERVATIONS OF COMETS issued today publishes observations of CK07Q03a and CK07Q03b by N. Howes using 2m FTN

Comet C/2007 Q3 (Siding Spring is now designated by its two fragments: CK07Q03a (primary) and CK07Q03b (secondary)

WHEEE! :)

Hmm, now I dont know which one to image...... :mad:

Both mate...both...as much data as you can get your hands on...60s maximum exposure time I reckon

You have to see the images FT got today for me...amazing... just aabout to start processing them

Archived