question about my skywatcher explorer 130p

I have had this scope for a day now, set it up yesterday, didnt get much chance to see much in the night due to conditions, i have one question thought, due to something that i found a bit annoying, its easy and fast to turn the scope using the azimuth direction but the issue was the altitude (up / down) direction, i found if i wanted to look at an object quick it was taking a long time adjusting this, especialy if i had to bring the scope downwards it felt like i was just standing there unscrewing for ages getting it back to the altitude i wanted, surely theres an easier / faster way on this scope to do this?

Anyone got any advice please?

James

Isn't the 130P the one with the motorised Synscan mount ? - I don't know why you should need to unscrew anything - surely the motors would drive the scope ?.

Edit: I've just noticed that there are a number of different versions of the 130P - what sort of mount is yours on ?.

Sounds like you are adjusting the screws that set your latitude. Once they have been set (to 52 degrees, or whatever depending on your location) you don't have to touch them (assuming an EQ2 mount). As John has asked, what kind of mount have you got? If it's an EQ2 then you have a lock for the dec and RA which when released allows complete free movement of both axis. If it's not an EQ2 then as suggested above I assume you have a synscan which is motorised.

Hi, thanks for both replies, my mount is a EQ2 mount, maybe i am not doing something correctly then, as for moving the telescope up and down from what i have read in the manual i can only see the screw at the back that allows the scope to go up and down and i have to keep screwing / unscrewing to keep it in place which seems timely.

EQ mounts take a bit of getting used to. Set the latitude and then you don't need to touch those screws. Locate the 2 locks and remember that it wont work like an alt-az mount moving up and down, left and right. Once you have a play around with the locks off you will get used to it and it will become second nature. Don't worry, you will get there.

The EQ mount moves around two axis - Right Ascension (RA) and Declination (DEC). It's not designed to move up and down / left and right like an alt-azimuth mount does. There are 2 locks / screws on the mount - one on each of the axis I have mentioned above. Loosen them and the mount / scope should rotate around the RA and DEC axis allowing you to point it anywhere in the sky.

As Bish says, it sounds like you are using the latitude adjustment bolt to move the scope - once set at your latitude you lock it an leave it there - no more adjustments to that par are needed.

Edit: As Bish says, don't worry, you will get it - EQ mounts do take some getting used to :headbang:

Take a look at this short animation astronomy boy equatorial tutorial. You will then see how an equatorial mount like yours can be slewed around to any part of the sky without having to adjust the latitude and azimuth bolts. The manual supplied with the telescope will show you where the two thumbscrews are located to release the clutches.

Peter

I have just been having a further mess about with the mount, i have found having the mount positioned in the following way (pic below) that its far easier to move / use, this actualy might be the corrrect way, the only reason i thought it wasnt is because in all pics i have seen of this scope already setup the mount is in a different position to on my pic, is this fine to be used this way or is this not the 'normal' you would use it?

dsc00193zj.jpg

It looks almost correct. The large T bolt on the side should be slackened off a little bit and the the T bolt on the rear screwed in so that the pointer on the side of the mount reads about 53 degrees (Liverpool). The mount should face North with the RA axis towards Polaris, one of the legs on the tripod usually faces North. Once accurately aligned the mount can be moved in the RA axis to follow a target across the sky.

Peter

Peter

This is a VERY informative thread. Not only have i found out that my 90EQ has an EQ2 mount (i didnt know that) but i have also learned why my EQ2 was such a pain in the backside,..........................i very rarely used it correctly. I could never observe near zenith with it.

Thanks for the info.

Interesting!

I have the CG-3 German equatorial mount on my Astromaster130 eq-md,

And have never understood Polar alignment, and I too have been screwing and un-screwing to raise and lower the scope as I move through the sky.

So basically I lock it at 51degrees for Dumfries,Scotland and Just leave it there?

And I just tilt the scope where ever I want to look always having my mount facing north.I also took off my motor drive as it was just in the way and didnt know how to use it.

So if I was looking at Orion and then wanted to turn in the opposite direction and look at Saturn I would not need to touch that screw? My slow-mo cables only turn so far before locking and I find my self picking up my whole scope and turning it in Saturn's direction. Or do I hold the OTA and turn it myself.

Sorry for being so stupid but Its always bothered me.

51 degrees is a bit low for Dumfries. Go to multimap and enter your postcode, this will give you an accurate latitude for your location. If you look at my previous post #7 on this thread you will see a link to a site that will show you a short animation of how an equatorial mount moves around the sky without having to pick it up. The slo-mo knobs on the EQ1 / EQ2 and Celesctron CG3 have a limited travel and are used for tracking an object across the sky. For larger slews unlock the DEC and RA clutches to manually slew the mount.

Peter

If you look at my previous post #7 on this thread you will see a link to a site that will show you a short animation of how an equatorial mount moves around the sky without having to pick it up.

That's the part of this thread i LOVE. I didnt know my EQ mount could move into those positions. I used to pick it up and move it to look in all directions while still pointing the polar axis to north.

The manual that came with the scope did not show ANY of this.

I have my scope set to LAT 53 degrees (Dublin). I only ever use the RA slo-mo control (very aptly named) to track objects. So this function of the scope/mount i am doing correctly. I cant see Polaris from my location (thanks to my neighbours house and trees). I use a compass to align my scope to North. Its not perfect but its pretty good. Objects will zip through your field of view in a badly aligned scope but will stay in your FOV for MUCH longer if the scope is well aligned (we all know this).

Honestly i had NO idea that my EQ2 mount could rotate/flip to all those positions without moving the tripod/mount. It gives me a new understanding of just what the hell the counterweights are for.

Boy do i feel STOOPID. I have learned more on this thread in a couple of hrs then i have learned about my 90EQ scope in a couple of yrs.

No matter.................it STILL weighs WAY too much for me to transport it to my garden and i now have my SkyWatcher Heritage 130p Dob.

It's always nice to find out why i hate(d) the damn thing so much.

• 10 months later...

Archived