SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pentax XW v Ethos?

I've been selling some eyepieces to help fund a Pentax or Nagler around 10-12mm. I'd pretty much decided on the Pentax 10mm, partly because I've already got two in that range that I bought second hand on here. Also because I'd read quite a bit about kidney beaning in the 12mm Nagler, which would have been my Nagler of choice because of the eye relief.

However I've struck lucky and have had a bit of an unexpected financial bonus today. It means I *could* go up to the Ethos 10mm instead. I've never actually read a bad word about the Ethos range - does anyone know of any disadvantages at all?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had the (mis)fortune to have two 13mm Ethos EPs visit me here and as the previous poster implies, I will not rest until I get one of my own...

It is the best EP I have ever looked through. Transparent, sharp, wide, contrasty, exciting, perfect. Certainly no kidney bean, black out zones or anything like that. Just buy the darned thing and be happy!

Olly

I've got a 10mm Pentax XW on loan at the moment for comparison with my 9mm Nagler Type 6. I've been very impressed with the Pentax, it's really well built, needle sharp and very comfortable to view through. I'd say it's a tiny bit sharper than even the 9mm Nagler, which is itself a very crisp eyepiece.

I also own an Ethos 13mm which is superb - it too is slightly sharper and had a touch better light transmission than the Nagler T6's and the equal of the Pentax but with a 100 degree FoV which is sharp all the way across. I can't imagine that the 10mm Ethos is any less-wonderful than the 13mm so I guess the decision is whether that ultra-wide FoV is worth the price difference.

Apart from the price and a bit less eye relief, I guess one possible "disadvantage" of the Ethos in an F/4.8 newtonian is that you will see the coma that the fast newtonian optical system produces much more than with the 70 degree FoV that the Pentax has. I know some folk who invest in Ethoi / Naglers for use in fast newts also feel a coma corrector is a "must have" as well to counter this - and that's more £'s of course.

You have more experience than I of the Pentax, John. However, my guests used their 13 Ethos EPs in our 20 inch Dob with an F4.1 mirror of moderate but not Carl Zambuto quality and no corrector. I always get the feeling that TeleVue EPs really keep the edge of field clean in this scope. The Ethos was fabulous in the 20 inch even without corrector. All present were of the same opinion. Not coma free but far from unpleasant.

Olly

You have more experience than I of the Pentax, John. However, my guests used their 13 Ethos EPs in our 20 inch Dob with an F4.1 mirror of moderate but not Carl Zambuto quality and no corrector. I always get the feeling that TeleVue EPs really keep the edge of field clean in this scope. The Ethos was fabulous in the 20 inch even without corrector. All present were of the same opinion. Not coma free but far from unpleasant.

Olly

I can certainly live without a coma corrector when using my TV's with my also-not-quite-Zambuto quality Orion Optics 10" F/4.8 Olly :)

• 2 years later...

Can anyone help me to choose between Pentax XW 5mm and Ethos 6mm? I heared that Ethos 6mm shows an yellow tint and not good (at least compared to Pentax XW 5mm) for high power planetary viewing and other bright objects. I request members who have uses these eye pieces to share their experiences.

Thanks,

Umasuthan.

I've moved this thread here from the scopes section as it's clearly an eyepieces thread (although an old one !).

I own both the 6mm Ethos and a 5mm Pentax XW. Both are superb and show no tint to my eyes - pretty colour neutral really. I believe some see a faint "coffee" tint in other Tele Vue eyepiece types (eg: the plossls) but the Ethos (and the Delos) range are not affect at all by this as far as I can see from the ones I've used.

There is a pretty significant difference in price between the Ethos and the XW's - the new Tele Vue Delos is much closer in both price and specification to the XW and may be worth your attention.

I own a 10mm Ethos and use it quite a lot. It's a brilliant eyepiece with the price being the only downside that I have seen so far. That being said, I never had a chance to compare it against a 10mm Pentax XW.

I got rid of my 10mm Ethos because I had a problem with stray light reflecting off the large top lens. A larger eyecup would have solved it but at that price I expect perfection right off the bat. Replaced it with an XW which I find to be just as good optically, though obviously it sacrifices FOV to the Ethos. The plus side is that it's so much easier to use. So much so that I've no hankering to go back.

Hi Umasuthan. Neither the Ethos or XW have any colour tint that I can see & both are excellent and pretty much equal optically. As John has already mentioned, the Televue Delos are another worth considering. I have the 6mm and intend swapping my 8mm Ethos for an 8 & 10mm when the full range becomes available.

I actually have the 12T4, and find it comfortable, no problems with black outs (except on the little solar scope, but even the Radian and Pentax XF can suddenly black out on that one). I prefer the 17mm eye relief of the 12T4 to the 15mm of my previous Meade series 5000 14mm UWA (also used in Olly's 20" Dob, really good result). I have steered clear of Ethos EPs mainly because of the 15mm eye relief.

Unlike Damo, I do perceive a difference in sharpness between the Ethos and the Pentax XW, with the Ethos winning out. However the Pentax is more comfortable on the eye, and much easier to use for extended sessions.

To me, the Delos is just a bit easier on the eye than the XW, while being a bit sharper still than the Ethos--but it doesn't have the amazing Ethos field of view.

I like the feeling of "immediacy" I get from the views in the Delos, and they are fast becoming my everyday eyepieces--though I still love Ethos and the higher focal length XWs (especially the XW 30) on special occasions.

I've got a 10mm Pentax XW on loan at the moment for comparison with my 9mm Nagler Type 6. I've been very impressed with the Pentax, it's really well built, needle sharp and very comfortable to view through. I'd say it's a tiny bit sharper than even the 9mm Nagler, which is itself a very crisp eyepiece.

I also own an Ethos 13mm which is superb - it too is slightly sharper and had a touch better light transmission than the Nagler T6's and the equal of the Pentax but with a 100 degree FoV which is sharp all the way across. I can't imagine that the 10mm Ethos is any less-wonderful than the 13mm so I guess the decision is whether that ultra-wide FoV is worth the price difference.

Apart from the price and a bit less eye relief, I guess one possible "disadvantage" of the Ethos in an F/4.8 newtonian is that you will see the coma that the fast newtonian optical system produces much more than with the 70 degree FoV that the Pentax has. I know some folk who invest in Ethoi / Naglers for use in fast newts also feel a coma corrector is a "must have" as well to counter this - and that's more £'s of course.

This is why I got a Pentax 7mm X/W I told the wife,Blame John He made me buy it :grin: :grin:

John,

Would like to know you opinion on Nagler 9mm as I want toget one soon.

Alan.

Now this thread gets even more interesting :smiley:

I was originally planning to go for Nagler 9mm and changed my mind to Ethos 6mm (as I was planning to use it for high power viewing). That is when I came across Pentax 5mm with great reviews and started this thread.

Regards,

Umasuthan.

The 9mm T6 Nagler is a cracking little eyepiece Rob, sharp as a razor and for its size packs one hell of a punch! I replaced mine with an 8mm Ethos as I found the eye relief a little tight but that's the only minor niggle I could say about it. The Ethos has now gone also as I have jumped on the 70° bandwagon of the Delos and XW's. Personally, unless an 82° fov is important to you, I would highly recommend the 10mm Delos over the 9mm Nagler. It is quite simply the sharpest eyepiece I have used around this focal length and will slightly outperform

the Nagler optically.

I think one of the posters in the thread that you started on "Cloudynights" came up with a great strategy Damo:

"......keep at least one of each type of EP in the lineup; one 82* eyepiece no matter what I do, and then also one very nice 65-70 degree EP with 20mm ER, and also if possible, have one 100* EP in the lineup and also one ortho. That way, when the hype train gets going on any one of these types of types of EP's (as it invariably does from time to time), I can just reach for that EP and see what all the hubbub is about without having to make any 'elimination' type choices....."

Hits the nail on the head for me :grin:

Hope you enjoy the Delos's (Deloi ?) :smiley:

Thanks Damo. I would love a Delos but the 10mm delos is close to £300. The Nagler is £265 and the Pentax XW is £255 which is a little easier to stomach.

How much difference is there between the XW and the Delos to the trained eye? You seem to prefer the Delos by the sound of it. The Delos are having huge reviews right now but the Pentax have always been very well regarded.

Thanks Damo. I would love a Delos but the 10mm delos is close to £300. The Nagler is £265 and the Pentax XW is £255 which is a little easier to stomach.

How much difference is there between the XW and the Delos to the trained eye? You seem to prefer the Delos by the sound of it. The Delos are having huge reviews right now but the Pentax have always been very well regarded.

If you are looking for a sharp 9mm, and are willing to go for 60 deg, there is always the Pentax XF8.5 (sorry, broken record time again ;)). Way cheaper, great eye relief and tack sharp! My best planetary EP.

Archived