SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pentax XW v Ethos?

I think one of the posters in the thread that you started on "Cloudynights" came up with a great strategy Damo:

"......keep at least one of each type of EP in the lineup; one 82* eyepiece no matter what I do, and then also one very nice 65-70 degree EP with 20mm ER, and also if possible, have one 100* EP in the lineup and also one ortho. That way, when the hype train gets going on any one of these types of types of EP's (as it invariably does from time to time), I can just reach for that EP and see what all the hubbub is about without having to make any 'elimination' type choices....."

Hits the nail on the head for me :grin:

Hope you enjoy the Delos's (Deloi ?) :smiley:

It was a great response John and there is definitely some logic in there, all I need is a quality ortho and I'm sorted :smiley:

Thanks Damo. I would love a Delos but the 10mm delos is close to £300. The Nagler is £265 and the Pentax XW is £255 which is a little easier to stomach.

How much difference is there between the XW and the Delos to the trained eye? You seem to prefer the Delos by the sound of it. The Delos are having huge reviews right now but the Pentax have always been very well regarded.

I had the 10mm XW for a while also Rob and its a stunner, easily on par with the Ethos/Delos in performance. I sold it to fund the 6mm Delos and always regretted it. Personally I would be just as happy with it as the 10mm Delos, and it was a case of which ever came up for sale used first :smiley: I hope to add a 5mm XW in the future to complete my high power line up but they don't seem to come up for sale very often.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 10mm radian and I have a 10mm XW that is a friends, I have to say the Pentax is one good eyepiece, lets face Radians are top class but for me the XW nicks it.

If you want a 9mm Nagler opinion John's your man.

Alan.

going back to Ethos, my only gripe is that for the moon I really don't like using my 13mm. I cannot honestly remember last time I used it whether or not I had my Baader Neodymium in to observe the moon but I got all sorts of weird chromatic effects as I moved my head about which I put down to the design. I know it had=s never been damaged or dropped for a fact.

I didn't buy the Ethos for the moon though so it's not an issue for me. it's literally only the moon it happens on and this is with all my current scopes (newts) and my previous f8.3 120mm achro. I must try it again on the moon sometime (is the moon still there? not seen it in a while) with and without the filter and see if it makes a difference. even if you have an Ethos (and I'm glad that I have) I'd recommend another eyepiece or two for the moon and of more basic design - I tend to use orthos and plossls (and my 6-3mm Nagler zoom) for luna.

My first look through the ethos on the moon was exciting last week. It was very overwhelming and bright though.

My favourite eyepiece for the moon so far is thr 7mm bgo. I can't quite put my finger on why. It's just excellent and immersive.

James at FLO was telling me that the XW's are really hard to find in the US now and it will be the same in Europe soon so if you want a XW then you'll be better off getting one sooner rather than later.

I've had (another) juggle around of my EP's :rolleyes: , the 20mm Nag T5 is going but I've added the 7mm and 10mm XW's. Thats it though...I'm never going to need to buy another EP again! :p

James at FLO was telling me that the XW's are really hard to find in the US now and it will be the same in Europe soon so if you want a XW then you'll be better off getting one sooner rather than later.

I've had (another) juggle around of my EP's :rolleyes: , the 20mm Nag T5 is going but I've added the 7mm and 10mm XW's. Thats it though...I'm never going to need to buy another EP again! :p

.....so time to start lookin at a new scope mike!!!!

Archived