NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Non-GOTO refractor usability

What is the usability of a refractor like the Celestron Omni XLT 120 (CG-4) or the Skywatcher Evostar 120 (EQ3-2) that come with a non-GOTO GEM? How easy is to use such a "large" refractor to find objects other than the moon and the planets?

As easy as using any large scope. You just need to learn where things are in the night sky and have some reference/guide books/charts to hand. Most, use their finder scopes to 'hop' from one star to another to the target.

Cheers,

Andy.

Yep... Gotta agree... Ok, mine isn't a large refractor, but I started out with my ST80 clone mounted on a camera tripod (I wouldn't recommend trying to observe the moon at high power that way, it's very frustrating :eek:) but I was able to find targets like M81 and M82 and M1 with it.

I must say it all became easier for me after I bought a Telrad. I've wasted some money over the years on " Must have " bits but that was money very well spent.

If the size offends, you could use a red dot finder.

Dave.

Telrads and red dots are great useful items. I've got and had them.

One thing I've noticed in light polluted areas is, it's sometimes easier to use traditional lensed finders, to help see through the pollution to previously unseen stars(if you see what I mean). 1x dot type finders can't do that.

I'd have one of each type of finder on my scope.

My tuppence worth.

Cheers,

Andy.

I used various telescopes over the years without GOTO ( It hadn't been invented then!!) Astronomers have been using non-GOTO for the last 400 years - and look at the discoveries and enjoyment they've had!

Using the telescope on a equatorial mount is challenging at the beginning, but once you appreciate what is actually happening ( North-South - East-West - preceeding - following) and learn the various field of views of the Finder and eyepieces - the real fun begins.

A good star atlas ( Nortons, Tirion's Sky Atlas, or Uranometria) will allow you to become familiar with the sky and get a good understanding of the positions of the brighter stars and Constellations. This knowledge will stay with you for a lifetime. Star hopping to obscure objects is all part of the fun of learning.....

I now have various scopes with GOTO capability but still like star hoping with the finder....it makes me feel like I'm in control:p

Ken

I've got a 6" F/8 refractor that I use on either an alt-az mount or my driven (but non-GOTO) CG5 equatorial. I've swapped the optical finder on it for a simple RDF and it works fine. You have clearly got to either know where the object you want to look at is or be able to star-hop to it but that's a challenge that I enjoy. I've been mostly using the scope on Mars, double stars and the Moon which are not too difficult to find of course :eek:

I have both a 4" APO frac and a 6" Meade AR6 frac which like John I mount on an Alt/Az mount or CG5 non goto eq mount. Both scopes use a red dot finder and a 9x50 correct image right angle finder.

Equipped with these items and a good star atlas - I use the Sky and Telescope Pocket and the big Uranometria atlas I can star hop to DSOs in the Messier, Caldwell and Herschel lists etc and its great fun doing it.

I did have a SCT goto which I bought 11 years ago and was useful to quickly find object but it did not give me the buzz that I now have finding the objects myself without computer aid.

Mark

Some stuff can be VERY hard to find. Its easier probably with a refractor than a newtonian in many ways. Newts tend to put up a fight :eek:

It can be frustrating but GoTo isnt essential but I personally think an RA tracking motor is almost de rigeur for comfort.

Archived