Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heads Up! LIDL 10X50 Binos from Feb22

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could any experienced bino users please advise.

It seems I must be a very dodgy character to have eyes so close together!

The adjustment on the Lidl binos is such that I can only just get a circular image and could really do with a fraction more adjustment for comfort.

I am also experiencing a lack of eye relief and find that I need to hold the eyepieces slightly away from my face even with the rubber eyecups twisted out otherwise the the view becomes obscurred but with a few mm clearance it is clear again.

I don't need my glasses when observing.

I've answered my own question, it's not lack of eye relief it's the lack of width adjustment that's causing the image blackout.

I've tried both sides of the binos as a monoscope with no problems.

The problem is simply not being able to bring the eyepieces close enough together to converge the image into a proper circle.

I think for £13.99 I can afford to experiment with a little gentle filing on the frame.

One other thing I would ask the more experienced bino users regarding collimation.

Looking through the primary lenses I am seeing full circles, no cats eyes ! but on one side I can see a tiny corner of what I assume is a prism, it is barely noticable.

Is it likely to have any adverse effect when observing ?

Bought two pairs today

Both have good collimation, they were the first two pairs I tried.

Yes, the width adjustment is only just enough for my closely placed eyes.

Nice bright images because of the 50 objectives

You get a neck strap and a nylon case too, with shoulder strap.

Very good value for money in my opinion

Michael

I have like others a few pairs of these. I had to collimate one pair, but after that they were pleasing enough. At that price they are good value. But I agree with the other comments. My Mum bought my Dad Pentax binos a few years back. They went out of collimation which I only noticed recently. I returned them to Pentax with a copy of the receipt (6 years old), and they recollimated and cleaned the lenses for free, honoring the ?10 year warranty! You'll not get that with the Bressers!

Interesting side story re:Swarovski Solar B.

I shared a high seat on some deer with a friend, and he had a Swarovski 6 x 42 telescopic sight on his rifle (very expensive).

It looked remarkably similar to the Meopta 6 x 42 I had on my rifle. Both steel tubed, both first class optics.

We swapped rifles as the light went to compare the views. They were identical, other than crosshairs. Mine had the better ones, which were designed to complement the built in range finder which his didn't have (having minute of angle sub cross hairs, etc).

It was obvious they were made in the same factory to the same standards, yet my Meopta cost less than 20% of the price of the Swarovski.

He sold his Swarovski and bought 3 Meopta's, one for each of his rifles (just as I had done, apart from a Simmons White Tail on the fox rifle which was perfect for lamping foxes).

I found out since that apart from making Swarovski's (some, anyway), they also do contract manufacturing for Zeiss, which says a lot.

Unfortunately Meopta prices have been pushed up beyond all reason now though http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~productID~5195~categoryid~164.html

I've had a re-think regarding my Lidl binos.

After comparing the distance apart of the eyepieces with my Nikon 8x40's there is no difference in width.

The experienced bino users will be able to advise me hopefully.

I have collimated the Lidl binos as much as I can based on the two single adjuster screws that I could find so that the image is converged in both eyepieces but they are very tiring to use even for a short time.

One thing I have noticed is that the exit pupil when viewed from a short distance away is not in the centre of the eyepiece they are circular but effectively too far apart thus giving the illusion that the eyepieces are too far apart.

Hope this makes sense :)

Well that is even more interesting "Ogri" re your telescopic sights,

I knew that Swar were well know for these also but have no

experience of them what-so-ever.

I have tried the now older Swar ELs 8.5x42 & 10x42 and they offer views that i find hard to discribe (esp the 8.5s) something akin to Bionic vision and i thought were better than other Zeiss and Pentax

bins that i have tried of the same size.

Quite often you do see binos or (sights i guess) with similar bodies

however their optics do vary dramatically and im sure if the likes of

the ELs were available at a fraction of their RRP cost the Cloudy Nights boys would know all about it,surely there must be forums

for hunting/sights with the same depth of knowledge.

If a manufacturer of the likes of Swar were ripping people off

i think they would soon be found out and discredited.

Brian

I Just got a pair from Lidl in Wallsend Tyne & Wear - they had 9 pairs left after I bought mine.....

One had been opened so I had a look thru them and they were slightly out of allignment.....

Pair number 2 were excellent so I snaffled them..... but the trip cost more than I bargained for....once I bought 2 big bags of Walkers crisps at £1.99 each..... then Utterly Butterly is on at 59p for a big tub - so I got a few of those...... then the biscuits.....

LOL....

Im well chuffed tho............. the cheese and onion are my favourite...... and the Bins are crackin' too...

Archived