Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M81+M82

paulobao

Nice one Paulo. I did this last night and ironically mine is too green!!! You have an incredible Ha response there.

I am interested in that light patch below the spiral. I thought I had a bad flat - acutally I do have a bad flat - but the patch is real since you have it too. Interesting.

Olly

It's a very nice Image Paulo. You've put a lot into it.

A search dug this up on the faint galaxy Rob/Olly.

With apologies to Paulo.

====================================================

Holmberg_II.jpgHolmberg II. Image credit: B. Mendez/Keck Obs. A much-studied, relatively nearby galaxy in which a great deal of star formation is taking place; it lies 9.8 million light-years away in the M81 Group. Holmberg II enables astronomers to study star birth in an environment that isn't disturbed by density waves (as happens in larger galaxies such as the Milky Way) or by deformation caused by the pull of another galaxy, and that is conveniently close. Giant holes in the little galaxy – the largest about 5,500 light-years wide – are regions of old star formation. Waves of energy from mature and dying stars have blown out the surrounding gas and dust, resulting in these great voids, which have held their shape because there are no spiral arms or a massive nucleus to distort them. New star birth is also taking place, but not in the same areas as the holes because these are drained now of gas or dust. The star formation regions in Holmberg II appear as disorganized patches that occupy a relatively large fraction of the disk. They are massive, filled with hundreds of young, blue, O stars because the size and luminosity of star-forming regions increases only slowly with the size of the parent galaxy. One region in particular has almost as many young stars as the famous Tarantula Nebula of the Large Magellanic Cloud.

I am interested in that light patch below the spiral. I thought I had a bad flat - acutally I do have a bad flat - but the patch is real since you have it too. Interesting.

Olly

Hi Olly,

No it is not a bad flat. It is Holmberg IX (aka UGC5336 at mag 14.7), a dwarf galaxy source of ultraluminous x-rays (not showing of course !).

But more intersting, for me, is the IFN (Integrated Flux Nebulae) that surrounds all that region. It seems a bad flat or another thing but it is signal indeed. Please do not discard that information. I will try it again when possible (I don't know how the weather is in your place but here is just terrible. I managed to get that data in a range of few hours without clouds. In the morning the weather was nasty again and remains today:mad:)

Please see the Lum layer I post here with extreme stretch and observe the IFN patch all over.

Regards,

paulo

medianm82l9x900sscaleda.jpg

Archived