Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Incessant Window Shopping

Blackheart

Hi all

I've been interested in astronomy since I was a kid (45 now!). Saved for a year for my first 60mm Tasco. Been saving ever since. Currently have a 12" Flextube Dob, but I still spend hours drooling over all the things I can't afford.

Trying to set up an astronomy club in my village and have started raising funds for a 'community telescope'.

Hoping to get some advice on buying a half-decent 4"-5" refractor or Mak with a mount that would allow us to do some basic imaging. Also hoping to get some advice on just how difficult it is to do basic imaging.

Well that's a brief summary of me. Loooking forward to meeting you...

All the best and Clear Skies

Blackheart

Welcome aboard!!

What you've got is common on here - looking at kit is something to do to keep the astro interest going thorugh all those cloudy nights!

A 12" Dob is a cracking scope to have though.

On your question about a community scope I would say get a good mount (say HEQ5) and then a decent refractor (say ED80 or 100). This should be manageable, and provide nice wide field views, and be no too demanding for starting out in imaging.

HTH

Helen

Thanks Helen

Not sure we'll be able to afford an ED scope. Been thinking about the Skywatcher 120 on an EQ 5. Do you think that would be any good for imaging...

Cheers

BH

Hi, and a warm welcome to SGL, the UK's largest Astronomy forum.

Most of us have experienced the Shop Window Blues.

Don't let it get you down, you can enjoy the Hobby with very fundamental equipment while you exercise patience waiting for the day you can get what you want. Patience is a prime requirement in this game.;).

The best mount for Astrophotography is the EQ6Pro, which is not cheap. The EQ5 would probably let you get some short duration subs which could be stacked to produce decent images, but the mount would need accurate Polar Alignment each time you use it, unless it is on a permanent pier.

Your best chance of success with it, would be wide field work with your camera and lens on the mount. Taking pictures with a 28/50mm

lens would permit decent exposure times without trailing.

You need to experiment to find out what is possible for you.

While you are enjoying this, you can be saving up for an EQ6Pro.;)

Good Luck.

Ron.

Archived