Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Paradigm Eyepiece question

teethgrinder

The rattle in my eyepiece was just the bottome retainnig ring. I've tightened it up and all is good.

Regarding eye relief, I too had mine set about half way up, any more and I found I couldnt see full field of view

:eek: Excellent stuff, i had a feeling it would just be the retaining ring.

Russ

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although, there is a slight rattle in jyr paradigm if it's shaken gently which makes me think that one of the elements might be loose - the 15mm doesnt do this, so i'll contact Alan and see about getting it swapped for another.

I know (now) that yours wasn't a loose element, but my 12mm was, and after a quick convo with Alan, it's in the process of being replaced; within days of the convo, and months after purchase. :eek: He had no obligation to do so, given the length of time I'd had it without informing him of the problem, but he did... no questions asked! Top-notch. Turns out one of the lower elements was too small for it's cell, probably no more than a fraction of a millimetre, but enough to make it roll around inside the barrel.

I know (now) that yours wasn't a loose element, but my 12mm was, and after a quick convo with Alan, it's in the process of being replaced; within days of the convo, and months after purchase. :evil6: He had no obligation to do so, given the length of time I'd had it without informing him of the problem, but he did... no questions asked! Top-notch. Turns out one of the lower elements was too small for it's cell, probably no more than a fraction of a millimetre, but enough to make it roll around inside the barrel.

That's why Alan has such a good reputation. He's a great chap! :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Could the ghosting be the reflection of a bright object(Mars), off you're eyeball, back onto the eyepiece? I have heard of this phenomena, but can't remember where.

You're just varying the eyerelief of the eyepiece. I adjust/twist mine down to where I can see the full view, comfortably.

Andy.

The serious observer therefore always applies a suitable multi-coating to his or her eyeball!!

:):D:D

My last trip out with the Paradigms i did notice the ghosting when viewing the moon with the 18mm. It only happened with the moon, i could not get the same effect with Mars or Saturn.

I can't experiment anymore as i've just sold my entire Paradigm set. I can look forward to the quality views offered by a 20mm modified achromat and an 8mm kelner. Oh and a Seben 2x plastic barlow.....should be good!

The serious observer therefore always applies a suitable multi-coating to his or her eyeball!!

:):D:D

Naah, I've had my lenses replaced with ED glass. Next visit to the opticians I'm asking about upgrading my right eye to a triplet :(

I see Sky's The Limit are now selling Explorer BST EPs which they say are the same. Can anyone confirm this?

Look the same eyepiece but Rob has just taken delivery of the 8mm 'Explorer ED' today and says the coatings look different to the 12mm and 18mm he bought some time ago. Also the eye lens is flatter. But that maybe just the design of the 8mm and the way it always was.

Russ

Cheers Russ.

I'm never sure what to make of Sky's The Limit - they seem to sell stuff ranging from really decent to pretty dire (such as spherical Chinese reflectors with the barlow in the focuser a la "Ebay scopes") :)

Archived