SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Paradigm Eyepiece question

teethgrinder

I purchased a Paradigm (BST Explorer) 5mm eyepiece that quite a few folk have been discussing round these parts. I got to use it a couple of days ago and i have to say that the contrast the EP gave was much better than the eyepieces that came with my skywatcher scope. I made some nice detail on Mars, which was very exciting!!

The problem is that i did notice that a refelection of Mars was bouncing around the fov, something that I haven't noticed with the cheaper eyepieces that were packaged with my scope. Should this be the case?

Has anyone else had this problem with paradigm ep's, or have i got a dud?

thanks

Steve.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you are experiencing somthing call "ghosting". Some eyepieces are more prone to this than others. It will be interesting to hear from other 5mm Paradigm users as to whether they have had this issue - if not yours may be faulty in some way and you could get it replaced if your bought it new.

Hi, i have had a couple of sessions with my recently purchased Paradigm 5mm in a SW 130p newtonian.

So far i have not managed to see any detail on Mars just a very bright shimmering disc which is probably down to poor seeing. However i did not notice any ghosting or reflections. Maybe you should try a ND filter to cut down the glare a bit ?

I did have a "wow" moment when using it to look at the Orion Nebula, absolutely fantastic ;)

I haven't got the 5mm, the closest i have is the 8mm. I've had a number of sessions with the Paradigms looking at Mars, Saturn and the Moon, as well deep sky. Not noticed any reflections with any of the views.

I wonder if you have one that has not been properly blackened inside. Maybe worth returning it for another.

Russ

Russ, i'd noticed you had some paradigm ep's and liked them and it helped swing me buying mine. the reflections/ghosting was pretty pronounced so it certainly leads me to think the blackening hasn't been performed effectively.

hubblebubble i would really appreciate your feedback.. we have the same scope so would be a fine comparison!

thanks..

Russ, i'd noticed you had some paradigm ep's and liked them and it helped swing me buying mine. the reflections/ghosting was pretty pronounced so it certainly leads me to think the blackening hasn't been performed effectively.

hubblebubble i would really appreciate your feedback.. we have the same scope so would be a fine comparison!

thanks..

Nice scope eh? ;)

The 5mm didn't arrive today so hopefully tomorrow...

Nice scope eh? ;)

The 5mm didn't arrive today so hopefully tomorrow...

hopefully tomorrow with clear skies :p

the 3.6mm gives about 208x and is pretty clear, but with very little eye relief which makes using it quite tiring, i find. I'm guessing because it's just a bog standard super plossl? That's why it's been a little frustrating with the paradigm because other than than reflection/ghosting issue it's lovely to use.

Interestingly when i was using it i accidently dropped it into mmy barlow giving 416x which is way over what my scope is potentially capable of - but the view of the moon was amazing.. okay not the sharpest, steadiest image in the world but sooo damn close! The seeing was amazingly steady that night so I will probably never repeat it ;)

and yes, the scope is fab - loving every minute!

Had a complete shocker with the 5mm ep!

My 2 yr old was particularly quiet and I went to investigate. Low and behold he had managed to take the new ep off my desk, out of its box and started taking it apart! ;)

He has got greasy fingers all over the lens so I need to get some decent lens cleaner and attempt to clean it up.

I didn't even manage to get the lens within 50 yards of my scope and still managed to wreck it. So sorry I won't be able to report on how good/bad these are.

My 2 yr old was particularly quiet and I went to investigate. Low and behold he had managed to take the new ep off my desk, out of its box and started taking it apart! ;)

Oh Cripes!! Well, best of luck with the clean up, I hope it's salvageable! Keep me updated ;)

I've just bought a 5mm paradigm, expecting delivery today. I'm hoping there wont be any ghosting, but will post an update once i've tried it out....if the sky ever clears

I've already got a 5mm celestron ed x-cel, and am hoping to replace it with the paradigm, the x-cel is a bit too long for my 5 year old to look through comfortably, it also needs quite accurate eye placement. So i'm interested in comparing the view through that with the cheaper paradigm....whichever loses out will be appearing in the for sale section or on ebay

My 2 yr old was particularly quiet and I went to investigate. Low and behold he had managed to take the new ep off my desk, out of its box and started taking it apart! :eek:

He has got greasy fingers all over the lens so I need to get some decent lens cleaner and attempt to clean it up.

I didn't even manage to get the lens within 50 yards of my scope and still managed to wreck it. So sorry I won't be able to report on how good/bad these are.

It is always a bad sign when kids get too quiet. Hope no permanent damage was done.

I had a quick go with my new 5mm paradigm last night - a few minutes at half time and half an hour between full time and the clouds rolling in!

To be honest I couldnt see a lot of difference in the performances of the 5mm paradigm and the more expensive 5.2mm ed x-cel, in my 4.5inch f9 reflector.

I got time to look at mars and to split castor in both ep's

I think that the paradigm seemed to be very slightly lighter at the very edge of the field of view than the x-cel.

The paradigm seemed to be a bit more tolerant of eye position before the view blacks out.

The other difference is in the eye caps - the paradigm having twist up hard plastic and the x-cel having fold up/down soft rubber, which I find slightly more comfortable and better at blocking out light getting between my eye and the ep.

Having said that I'll go for the paradigm, as I think it will be easier for the youngster to look through, and I like the idea of it matching and being parfocal-ish with the ther one I have

Although, there is a slight rattle in jyr paradigm if it's shaken gently which makes me think that one of the elements might be loose - the 15mm doesnt do this, so i'll contact Alan and see about getting it swapped for another.

Hope that helps...perhaps I should caveat all that by saying i'm fairly new to this game, so might not know what i'm talking about!

and being parfocal-ish with the ther one I have

I have found my 3 Paradigms are not parfocal. It's my main niggle really.

The hard eyecups are perhaps not as effective as the soft eyecups for blocking light. But that said, the only ones i find truly effective are the winged eyecups.

Does the retaining ring need a slight twist to stop the rattle?

Russ

Unscrew the chromed lower housing. Probably a retaining ring in the lower or upper parts has come loose in shipping. Tighten it up gently.

I had a similar problem in another eyepiece some time ago. It'll save you the bother of returning it.

I find the twist up eye guard to be a good thing. Lets you tune your eye socket to the correct distance to prevent possible blackout. I find just below halfway suits my eye and the eyepiece, on the 8mm version.

Cheers,

Andy.

there is certainly no rattle on mine so that's one thing! I managed to get out last night and was experimenting with the twist up eyeguard. I was getting the ghosting issue when the eyeguard was twisted all the way out. The ghosting was not apparent when only twisted part way out.

sorry if it's an obvious question but what exactly am i adjusting by moving the eyeguard outwards? and why would the ghosting be pronounced by twisting it to the extreme?

BTW. my first view of M42 last night, woohoo:hello2:

As with Andy, i find the eyecup best when half way up. I wonder if that's why we haven't noticed the ghosting problem. Perhaps there's a reflective surface within the eyecup that only becomes a problem when fully extended. I'll take a look at my Paradigms tonight.

Russ

Could the ghosting be the reflection of a bright object(Mars), off you're eyeball, back onto the eyepiece? I have heard of this phenomena, but can't remember where.

You're just varying the eyerelief of the eyepiece. I adjust/twist mine down to where I can see the full view, comfortably.

Andy.

Could the ghosting be the reflection of a bright object(Mars), off you're eyeball, back onto the eyepiece? I have heard of this phenomena, but can't remember where.

Andy.

That makes sense actually, it was damn bright the night i experienced this. thanks everone for your comments here.

The rattle in my eyepiece was just the bottome retainnig ring. I've tightened it up and all is good.

Regarding eye relief, I too had mine set about half way up, any more and I found I couldnt see full field of view

Archived