Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

South Coast (Hampshire/New Forest) Meet

russ

Would anyone be up for a South Coast local meet? Get together in a suitable pub initially for a chat about all things astro. Perhaps discuss a suitable spot for some informal observing, such as a local farm? See where we go from there.

Russ

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent stuff. That's a couple of us so far and i should be able to persuade Rob to join us. See if we can draw in a few others.

We (Rob and I) used to observe at the old Airfield near East Boldre but things got a bit dicy on our last trip. We found ourselves playing chicken with what was probably a stolen car. That was our last dark sky trip, all the way back in 2006.

I did send an email to the Forrestry Commission asking if they could recommend a safer site but had no response.

Russ

Yes, that's it.

They have a field that is away from the main area which is closed off at the moment, although there are trees around the edges, the stars there on a clear night are phenomenal. Downside is that it is on the flight path from Southampton Airport (but so is the rest of the forest).

M.

Russ, we're currently setting up 'Away Missions' throughout Spring and Summer camping in the New Forest and the South-West. HantsAstro CoreTeam and some of our members will be there but they are not formal organised events. We are still observing at INTECH twice a month (weather permitting, of course). This ends in May and start again late August.

See our website if you want to see what we are up to.

I'd still be interested in details of any South Coast meetings in or around South East Dorset & South West Hampshire. I had a look at the site, but couldn't make out anything specific for this area. So, I'm still keen to be involved in something that is accessible in this area, and don't see what people in Hampshire do as necessarily precluding what we might want to. Practically, the New Forest or Moore's Valley are more easily accessible to me personally than somewhere like the Isle of Purbeck or Blackmoor Vale.

M.

Well that's about 4 of us so far for a New Forest meet. Only needs be once a month in a pub for a chat if it's cloudy. Or find somewhere dark for some observing if clear.

Any other SGL folk interested?

Dave, the away missions sound good, may tie in with those.

We had a CoreTeam meeting last night at the Seven Stars @ Steep, and we are sorting out some dates and possible locations. What we are looking to do is to 'seed' some sites, with a view to see if it could develop into something like the Salisbury Star Party... perhaps.

We attempted to get something off the ground last year in the New Forest, and were approached by by HighCliffe. But it didn't take off, mainly due to distance and a lack of interest. We have several member in the area who may want to join in.

Is anyone going to te IOW Star Party?

I can't do anthing this side of April 1st as i have run out of leave, as has my wife. I would need her to book off the Friday and Saturday nights in order to go. So IOW is a no go for me sadly. Must remember to save some leave next year.

We'll keep an eye on the HantsAstro plans.

Russ

Hi Stephen,

It maybe worth keeping an eye on the HantsAstro website and see what happens. You maybe able tie in your trip with their 'Away Mission' in the summer. Hopefully all of us in the area will be able to attend.

Russ

I'm thinking about using my webspace and setting up an email for the group. Name for the group please?

I thought 'South Astronomer Observing Group' The website could have news, pictures and info on there for the meets etc. I dont mind coding it. I think the email side could keep us all posted. etc.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Not quite sure about the name. I the South needs to be Southern. Although there's quite a few other options. South Coast Astronomers Group. Southern Astronomers Observers Group. New Forest Astronomers Group. Southern Stargazers Group? South Coast Stargazers. New Forest Stargazers.

I think our main problem is not the name but no real interest has been shown. I think we really need a half dozen people to get started. At the moment we have a tentative 3-4.

Russ

Thanks AB, that would help and great to see you off course. It wouldn't have to be a monthly meet, could be quarterly to start while the numbers are limited.

We have a new member to the forum who i'm hoping can be persuaded as well.

Russ

Archived