Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A message for any beginner feeling lost and confused....

Here's something for any newbie who's feeling disheartened! For ages I have been feeling like either me or my scope was knackered, and more than once I have thought about throwing the towel in. I simply wasn't seeing anything!

Finally, after months of bad weather, poor seeing and a lot of disappointment, and nearly giving up, I have finally had a good, no, a great observing session! 21 Messier objects and a few beautiful moments with Saturn. Began around nine p.m. with the Crab Nebula, which snapped into view as easy as pie, despite having proved difficult to spot at all on previous nights. M31 through to M38 were a breeze, they're all easy to find and most are close together, which helps and hinders. M37 proved more difficult than the others to find. M42 was stunning. Ran through a few more and ended my DSO night with M51, the Whirlpool, which was gorgeous. I fancied I could just make out the filament of matter between the two galaxies. So, for me it was a night of firsts: my first globular cluster, my first spiral galaxy (except M31) and the first night I didn't ask myself if I was doing something wrong!

So if you are a beginner, like me, don't worry if it seems like all you can see is stars, keep trying and I promise things'll come through!*

I made a few observations of the way my skills have improved since I began, so hopefully they'll help anyone else who's floundering like I was. Here they are:

1. Don't underestimate how damaging light pollution is. I noticed tonight how even some very dim, solar powered garden lights were messing up my dark adaption. A great dark site makes an incredible difference.

2. Be patient and move your scope around slowly. It's amazing how faint some objects are, and it's easy to slide right over them.

3. Start with easy targets. M42 can be found without a finderscope!*

4. Practice looking! Find an easy target and spend some time looking at it. You find ways of using your eyes that you wouldn't normally expect.

5. Be persistent. The one thing that has really stuck out for me is that perseverence is rewarded.

I hope this helps anyone who is feeling as disheartened or disappointed as I did.*

Could'nt agree more!

I think it would be easy to give up observing the night sky with the

weather being as it has but the relatively few nights I've managed to get out and do some observing have made it worth the wait.

Clear Skies

Alan

Celestron CPC 925

Celestron Nextstar 6se

Vixen/Televue EPs

Canon 1000D

I'm lucky, in that I have 2 very different observing sites, and can be certain to get some form of observing done most trips at work, albeit with binos. I'm coming back to UK tomorrow, so you lot had better have finished with all them cleods and moved them away, 'cos I want to get my scopes oot asap.

That's really valid and useful advice there and the fact that you have recently been through this adds real weight to them I feel. Thanks for posting your experiences - I'm sure others will benefit a lot from them :)

Sound advice can I just add a little Zen here - stop looking and you will find it :)

Sometimes your so depsrate to see things its easy to miss them. Take a chill pill, take a stroll. Use a wide angle eyepiece and just cruise. Slowly scan the telescope across the sky - any old starfield is interesting. Se it as a stroll through the universe - if you happen to see something amazing then GREAT !! If you dont well theres always next week.

And as Doc says - its not going anywhere soon.

Sound advice can I just add a little Zen here - stop looking and you will find it :)

Sometimes your so depsrate to see things its easy to miss them. Take a chill pill, take a stroll. Use a wide angle eyepiece and just cruise. Slowly scan the telescope across the sky - any old starfield is interesting. Se it as a stroll through the universe - if you happen to see something amazing then GREAT !! If you dont well theres always next week.

And as Doc says - its not going anywhere soon.

#

Wise words Master...................Grasshoper kev:D

Hi - I'm a newcomer to this field too - i'm still getting to grips with the basics but light pollution is really doing my head in! I'm in an urban environment and even though my garden is dark with no direct light, once i look up, i see an orange glow eminating into the sky - it's heart breaking :)

G

Know the feeling with LP. We live in a rural area so no street lights. But rather annoyingly our neighbours leave there outside light on all evening as they dont use their front door. Its amazing how your eyes catch on it, and yes the orange glow is familiar. How do you get them to switch it off but remain friends?

A friendly approach to your neighbors might be worth while, explain that you are an Astronomer, invite them to have a look through your scope, even if they will not switch it off completely or put in a low power light they may consider some form of shade.

John.

I just went round to my neighbour one night and asked him if he could switch it off as it was a bit of a pest.

He already knew I was into Astronomy, but had no idea his light was causing a problem and was only too pleased to switch it off while I was observing.

perhaps I'll have to drop a subtle hint to start with. They know we've got a telescope and have said for them to pop round and have a look when we're using it. I guess that as we get on really well with them I dont want to risk falling out. If we didnt get on so well I wouldnt worry about that (and I guess that they would probably be less likely to co-operate).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hi Crepitis, I'm sure you're right. just a bit wary of upsetting the applecart as they are very good neighbours and have helped us a lot in the couple of years we have been here. we owe them a meal anyway so perhaps mention it when they come round.

thanks for that post Badger, very encouraging! I feel like that just now, have been out every clear night since 1st jan ( 3whole nights lol) and so far only seen moon and the orion neb and a quick glance of mars ( nothing special) I often sit and think my scope is'nt up to the job, but will be few more months before i can buy a new one (thinking explorer 300p) (getting married 15may) but still think i made the wrong choice in scopes. hopefully get out tonight( fingers crossed)

Hi john,

You appear to have spotted the exact same group of objects I had, prior to the other night. Just keep plugging at it mate. I just had to keep making adjustments to my ideas i.e. how bad is my LP, are my eyes well enough dark adapted? Am I looking in the right place? I started with a 130mm reflector and although I couldn't see much through it before moving to a larger scope, I am now sure that if I still had it I would be able to see stuff. It seems to be more about practice than equipment lol.

Hi - I'm a newcomer to this field too - i'm still getting to grips with the basics but light pollution is really doing my head in! I'm in an urban environment and even though my garden is dark with no direct light, once i look up, i see an orange glow eminating into the sky - it's heart breaking :)

G

Is your scope at all portable? If it's easy enough to carry or you have a car available to get to an unpolluted spot, it really is worth having a go. The difference in a really good dark site is incredible.

Know the feeling with LP. We live in a rural area so no street lights. But rather annoyingly our neighbours leave there outside light on all evening as they dont use their front door. Its amazing how your eyes catch on it, and yes the orange glow is familiar. How do you get them to switch it off but remain friends?

You could explain politely that you have this hobby and ask them if they could turn it off on the few clear nights you have, when they are not using it.

If you tell them your sorry for the inconvenience and you would be grateful if they could do this favor for you, given all the pleasure you get from this hobby and the money you have invested in it, I think most reasonable persons will understand and agree to help by turning off the light.

You may invite them to come over and take a peek too if they feel like it. But don't impose, they may have no interest in astronomy.

4. Practice looking! Find an easy target and spend some time looking at it. You find ways of using your eyes that you wouldn't normally expect.

Perhaps the best piece of advice. Dont just LOOK at objects.....SEE them. Exercise your averted vision even with the likes of M42.

Archived