Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ6 - am I expecting too much

gaelicstorm7

Hi guys, I'm after you expert advice and opinions again , seems ages since I was out last with my good old EQ5, this year brings an EQ6 first time out proper with it last night, and I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much from it, if I'm doing anything wrong, if there's anything wrong with it ? (needs stripping and regreasing ?), your thoughts would be most appreciated.

Here's the findings.

I set up and polar alligned (accuracy of polar alignment was probably 6-7 out of ten) Megrez on EQ6 with canon 350D CLS and VH-1 filter fitted, balanced in both axis. Wind was quite gusty, high fast moving cloud.

first image is of Vega, 60 seconds at 1600 asa, full frame, second is a 100% crop from the middle (ish)

The next image is a longer one (90 seconds) same kit, same settings. The Ring area of Lyra, shows some trailing is this to be expected?, or is there too much do you think ?, am I just being hyper critical.

Cheers,

Alan

post-12879-133877321383_thumb.jpg

post-12879-13387732139_thumb.jpg

post-12879-133877321396_thumb.jpg

post-12879-133877321401_thumb.jpg

Hi Alan,

I don't think you are far off what to expect. Using my EQ6 Skyscan with the ED100 (900mm focal length) and Canon 10D, I used to get a 50-60% success rate at 90secs. Some images were pinpoint, others mild trailing but stackable and then some were trailed to badly to stack. I never trained the PEC which would have certainly reduced the failure rate.

60sec gave a good 80-90% success rate.

Remember, do not perfectly balance the RA axis, try to balance it slightly against the motion of the RA axis. This greatly helps the EQ6 track, removing any jitters or jumps.

Regards

Russ

Remember, do not perfectly balance the RA axis, try to balance it slightly against the motion of the RA axis. This greatly helps the EQ6 track, removing any jitters or jumps.

An astro friend of mine offered me the same advice.

Apparantly, the motors like 'some' resistance to work against.

good tip that on the RA axis. Thanks for that Russ. Not so bad Alan if there is no PEC training and it is windy. With the Super Polaris and ED80 reduced to approx F4 I can get 3 mins about 50% of the time in calm conditions. Think it depends where the worm gears are in their cycle.

You want it to try to fall so that the motor is pushing it against its natural movement, rather than letting it catch up with the motor. Doesn't need to be much, just enough so that it doesn't want to move but the motor makes it, otherwise the drive will push it, it sets off going a little too fast and then bounces back and forth for ever.

Captain Chaos

Archived