Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

105Ah powertank...

arad85

After severely crippling my 17Ah powertank (it runs the EQ6 for a couple of hours before dropping to zero volts, but recharges OK) I decided to build myself a powertank based on a deep-cycle leisure battery. I thought I'd post up here in case anyone wanted a little inspiration.

The battery used is this one: Numax Leisure Batteries XV27MF Low Cost Batteries Online

First, the wiring:

IMG_1606.jpg

Connected but not installed:

IMG_1607.jpg

Finished:

IMG_1608.jpg

I ended up buying all the electrical stuff from towzatronics off e-bay and went for marine grade lockable power connectors - expensive, but there's nothing worse than a dodgy connection spoiling a night.

The sockets are here:

3 X Motorcycle/Marine Waterproof 12V Accessory sockets on eBay (end time 26-Jan-10 14:33:36 GMT)

The locking plugs here:

3 x 12V Motorcycle/Marine Twist n Lock Plug VALUE PACK on eBay (end time 24-Jan-10 21:23:16 GMT)

They also do all the crimp connectors/wiring etc. The only thing I didn't buy from them was the fuse box.

I'm also powering my laptop using a Konig 120W Universal Notebook Adapter (available from a variety of places).

FINALLY I can get back out with the EQ6 - yay!!

I hope the ceramic fuses are brass links, and not aluminium which have a tendency to corrode and develop a bad connection.

Good job though, and should serve you well. More is best and I too am not keen on the 17A/H Power Tank. A couple of dew strips can soon deplete it.

Ron.

I hope the ceramic fuses are brass links, and not aluminium which have a tendency to corrode and develop a bad connection.
They are car blade fuses, 10A at the moment... I'll be charging through one of the sockets too (just have to add solder a 12V plug on the end of some cable).

I have the CTEK Multi-XS 7000 for the multi-stage charger.

Thanks for the positive comments (if I was doing it again, I'd spend time getting the holes for the screws to line up and countersink them properly (bit of a pain when you only have one drill!!).

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice! :)

Having lived 'off mains' and used cheap batteries for a 12v supply for many years, I found the secret to very long life with them, and totally negating the need for the expense of deep discharge ones (as you get almost zero practical extra use in the difference between low charge and deep discharge), is fit a voltmeter.

As soon as your voltage drops to 12v, stop draining that battery.

I got 20+ years out of a set of very cheap thin plate tractor batteries by doing that (and it was extreme frost that did them in then). ;)

Thank you...

I wanted something that would cope with everything in one power supply - including PC, and I didn't think £72 delivered was a bad price for 105Ah deep cycle... (now gone up to £86 delivered I think :))

Hi Arad85 - Thanks for a most interesting post. As I will soon need a power supply myself I will probably copy what you have done!

Just a couple of questions though (I'm an electrical dimwit!!) - First there seems to be a hole in the box lid (hidden by the handle in a later photo) - does it have any purpose?

Second - what size/rating of flex did you use?

Thank you again,

Ventilation - it's a sealed battery, but the lid lifts off (that's what the hole is for - to get my finger in) and I leave it propped up when charging.

I used 1.5sq mm twisted - rated at 15A - for all the electrical connections.

HTH...

• 1 year later...

Nice work - Must have good look at this! Have the same battery and cable, as a start (GMTA) but really think I need to "rationalise" my switching and fusing! (Unfortunately?) I have developed a significant hatred for "cigar" connectors - A lot of pushing and pulling, with dubious contact? Reminds me of a joke, but must resist... :hello2:

• 1 year later...

Archived