SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Atik OAG Off Axis Guider

FLO

It's not that the guide tube is too long, it's that the CCD chip is possibly much closer to the back of the OAG body than the original design.

The Celestron/ Meade SCT OAG were originally designed for use with a 35mm SLR camera ie 55mm back focus....

If you add a spacer to your set-up between the OAG and the camera the position of the guide image will move outward in the guide tube by the same amount.

So if the Atik and the TS and the Orion OAG's are "designed" for use with a DSLR they will all allow for the 55mm required..if you then just place a CCD camera on the OAG with a backfocus of only 12.5mm you will have difficulty getting the guide camera into focus...

Ken

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you get enough, I'll be inetersted in one of the OAG's from you at SGL5 Steve.

Can you bring along a bunch of 1 1/4 inch extensions etc too so we can get our respective guide cams in focus.

Cheers

Rob

Portable astronomer - I am using an OAG with the MN190. I use the TS one at the moment, and there is loads of room for backfocus even with a filter wheel attached. However the TS unit, although very thin, has some fairly drastic design flaws (eg, stray light can get into the guidecam housing) and it is not the most solid of things. With the thin design, getting focus on the guidecam is unbelievably fiddly, and the supplied thumscrews do a very poor job of holding the focus position once found.

I am fairly confident that the Atik OAG will be compatible with the MN190, even with a filter wheel, but it might depend a little on the profile of the focusser. The MN190 with an OAG is a great imaging system.

TJ

hmm, I think I'll wait for the ATIK ones to come into stock and do a review of the ATIK with the 190MN once I get a chance.

My Equinox 80 is really not intended to be a guidescope, particularly with that un-removable (Megrez-90-style) single mounting shoe.

Ken yes the imaging chip is much closer than would be with an SLR camera, and that is of course why the guiding eyepeice holder is too far out when used with a CCD cam. But even if I rack the telescope focus right in as far as it will go, the guide cam is still to far out (but wouldn't be with the ATIK or TS units). So to continue with a Celestron Radial guider would mean sawing off the nobbly bit on the side completely and creating a new guide cam attachment. For the imaging sensor there's about 2cm of back focus available ; just enough for me to slide the Gerd Neumann filter drawer between the OAG and the imaging camera.

I was tempted to get an ultra low-profile focuser unit for the 190MN, but there aren't any that fit it unless I butcher the tube. The Moonlite focusers are nice but stick out way too much.

As it happens, Baader Steeltrak focusser fit right onto the MN190 without alteration, and are lower profile than the SW ones I THINK. I can measure if you like, but hopefully once these things get more common than rocking horse droppings, we can test one on an mn190 and get a definitive answer. We best not interrupt FLO's thread any more ;)

• 3 weeks later...
My Equinox 80 is really not intended to be a guidescope, particularly with that un-removable (Megrez-90-style) single mounting shoe.

Just unscrew the front lens and you can remove this, I did it because of the movement and now I just use standard 90mm tube rings, it makes a big difference

Just heard from Atik and the back focus required for the camera is 17mm, and the depth of the filter wheel is 22mm

This give a CCD to the front edge of the filter wheel depth of 39mm, which is less than the usual 55mm for field flatteners and reducers.

Hmmm,

you may actually need an additional spacer on the imaging camera to get the guide image far enough out??

What about using it with a DSLR??

Has anyone physically seen the ATik OAG yet????

Was it available at the SGL party??????

Hmmm,

you may actually need an additional spacer on the imaging camera to get the guide image far enough out??

What about using it with a DSLR??

Has anyone physically seen the ATik OAG yet????

Was it available at the SGL party??????

I should have mentioned that those figures are without the OAG. I've asked for the depth of that, but looking at the picture of the whole lot back to back I reckon it's about 25mm or over

This makes it 64mm at least, which is a bit of a deal breaker for me and my TRF-2008

• 4 months later...

Sadly I think some delays due to the 383L+ and production. It was predicted to be a runaway success and it is, I think they got caught out by that fact..

I am waiting on an EFW2 myself from them...and also a 4000 camera to pop up

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, just as an update, here is the response from Warren Keller. He is Atik USA.

Mark

The OAG should make it to OPT in the next few weeks. Though it will eventually have adapters to stand alone, it is designed specifically to bolt to the new EFW2 which will also be arriving fairly soon. Unfortunately, the 383 was deeply backordered when we had to retool for a part to replace a component which became unavailable. We have told folks 90 days but now think it may be much sooner. Keep in touch w/ OPT- Chris, Rod, Mike and you can place orders when you and they are ready. Thanks for your interest and see attached!

Best to you, Warren

Archived