Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from new member

Andros

Hello and thanks,

I've been lurking on here for a few weeks trying to decide what scope to get and how to use an eq mount etc, and found all the questions I had were already asked and answered, so this is my first post to just say thanks for all your (indirect) help.

The scope arrived last week, had a clear sky on Sunday so went out for my first ever observation with a scope.

I bought a SW 150pl, not sure if i'm going to stick with it so i figured £245 is not too much to waste, but i spend alot of summer nights in the garden looking skyward so i'm sure i'll be putting it to good use.

Polar allignmen went well, and tracking was good.

Mars looked like a bright star, Saturn was great, but not too clear with 25mm ep and barlow, Missed Jupiter but saw it with my eye early evening, to be honest i never realised it was Jupiter untill i checked Stellarium, another excellent recomendation:) The Pleiadas were nice, that lot kept me busy for Sunday night. Oh yeah and i saw a shooting star!

On the whole a good experience,:)

Next I want to see M42 and Andromeda, I got Turn Left ...on order so looking forward to that.

One question i got for now is, yup another EP question, what are the SW EP's like that come with the scope? are they any good? by what i've been reading they are so so, I would like to get better EP's but how much do you spend, they can end up costing more then the scope! saturn was great but I would have liked to have seen it a bit closer, maybe the seeing was not great so i probably need to use what i got a little more, anyway if you got to the end of this long post then thanks for any recommendations in advance. Andy.

Hi Andy,

A very warm welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forum and your new scope, perhaps it may be advisable to ask your ep question in another section as there could be quite a debate on what ep`s are suitable with your scope, most of the ep`s supplied with scopes come from China and are of quite reasonable quality , but heres the rub how far do you go to make some improvement and how much do you spend, quality ep

Thanks all for welcome:headbang:

GlowJet thanks for advice, i'll start another ep thread, think i need to know the quality of eps at diffrent price points, I know i only need about 4 and a better quality barlow then supplied with SW, would be interesting, basically im after good quality budget EP's.

Hi Andy and welcome,

price will need to be considered as ep's can be very expensive,

the only good thing is that once purchased they can be used on your future scopes as well so investment now could save another cost later,

have you checked the tutorials and primers section on here.

regards ron.s.g

Hi Andy and welcome,

price will need to be considered as ep's can be very expensive,

the only good thing is that once purchased they can be used on your future scopes as well so investment now could save another cost later,

have you checked the tutorials and primers section on here.

regards ron.s.g

Yup thanks Ron.s.s,

Im reading " Understanding and choosing eyepeices" in tutorial section now. thanks.

HI Andy and welcome from me too.

The EPs supplied with the scope are not brilli9nat but they are adequate. The 25mm is the better of the two. Its hard to advise on EPs because as you say some of them cost more than the scope.

A lot depends on what you want to see (planets need higher power EPs of 2-15mm whereas most deep sky viewing is done with EPs in the 15-30mm range.).

You need to consider the scopes maximum power which is x300 but under UK skies x200 is more common and often down to as low as x150 so for planets a 4-5mm is generally a better bet than going mad and buying something like a 2mm which will get very little use.

I personally found when I restarted that a 32mm was the most used EP but its very much horses for courses.

At the low wned of price the new Sky-Watcher Super Plossls are quite good and the Vixen NPLs are also reputed to be good. Going upmarket a bit the Sky-Watcher Nirvanas are also good but a lot more cash.

I'm sure if you ask the question in the beginners help section you will get some good responses.

Mel

HI Andy and welcome from me too.

The EPs supplied with the scope are not brilli9nat but they are adequate. The 25mm is the better of the two. Its hard to advise on EPs because as you say some of them cost more than the scope.

A lot depends on what you want to see (planets need higher power EPs of 2-15mm whereas most deep sky viewing is done with EPs in the 15-30mm range.).

You need to consider the scopes maximum power which is x300 but under UK skies x200 is more common and often down to as low as x150 so for planets a 4-5mm is generally a better bet than going mad and buying something like a 2mm which will get very little use.

I personally found when I restarted that a 32mm was the most used EP but its very much horses for courses.

At the low wned of price the new Sky-Watcher Super Plossls are quite good and the Vixen NPLs are also reputed to be good. Going upmarket a bit the Sky-Watcher Nirvanas are also good but a lot more cash.

I'm sure if you ask the question in the beginners help section you will get some good responses.

Mel

Thanks mate, I got a couple more eyepeices thrown in with the scope that arrived about a week later, a 15mm and 30mm, so look forward to trying them out , judging by what i've read on SLG, it would be good to use what i got till i know where i want to improve and how much i'm willing to spend, but its interesting to learn all the options. thanks for advice.

And just to let you know i kind of realised the welcome thread was mainly for people to say hi and introduce themselves, so i started another.

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/95524-sunday-17th-jan.html

Cheers!

Hi Andros

A warm welcome to SGL.

Turn Left at Orion is a great purchase and will help you enormously to find your way around the sky.

I wouldn't be in a rush to change your kit yet. Learn about it, get used to it, decide what you like/don't like, understand its shortcomings and they'll all help when you come to change things. If you don't, you'll have to rely on others' experiences .. and they're not yours

Steve

Hi Andros

A warm welcome to SGL.

Turn Left at Orion is a great purchase and will help you enormously to find your way around the sky.

I wouldn't be in a rush to change your kit yet. Learn about it, get used to it, decide what you like/don't like, understand its shortcomings and they'll all help when you come to change things. If you don't, you'll have to rely on others' experiences .. and they're not yours

Steve

Thanks Steve, its only since i got my scope that i realised how the cloudy skies can drag on for! Cant wait for that book to arrive, its on a slow boat from Amazonia!

Archived