Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Power Pack Bargain

daz

Hi Darren,

I'm not an expert in these things but I know a man who is and he suggests that for astro, it is best to choose a lower amp-hour power supply.  Its not what people want to hear but consider that the battery will have come from the automotive industry - usually from a motorbike - so will typically be over-rated for astro use, which isn't a problem in itself but, the batt is designed to take the typical charge/use cycle that it would get when fitted to a bike.  Mostly, they turn a starter motor then receive a charge.  Lower amp-hour batts are also smaller and lighter. 

His advice is to use power packs good and hard and recharge them frequently - they like that.  It is easier to do this with a lower amp-hour battery.  NB: He also points out that you must never run it totally flat as it can buckle the fins inside the battery which is not good! 

With this in mind I bought the Astro Engineering Compact-Astro-Powerstation and am very pleased with it.  Though, as I mentioned elsewhere here, they appear to be difficult to find these days.  (I doubt it will turn up a Makro!). 

Hope that helps,

Steve :)

PS: If buying from somewhere other than an astro supplier, be sure to allow for the cost of a DC lead and be very careful that it has the right polarity!

PSS: It is cheaper to buy the right product first...

Daz,

That one one Ebay is the same model as mine, it's run my LX90 and EQ6 for the last year or so, but as Steve has said you'll need the DC (£6 or so). If you decide to get that pack make sure you get the DC lead from an astro dealer, because if the polarity is wrong you are goosed!

You're still looking at <£30 for the full hit though, so it's pretty cheap.

GAz

Sherwoods do this:

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/meade_scopes/etx70astro_eng.htm - Is this the one Steve, and I assume that the leads they talk about are the correct ones?

Thanks guys

Darren

Thats the one.  I can only speak as I find but I am pleased with mine and it seems to be better built than others I have seen ... including the one on sale at Makro.  It'll be a real [removed word] if supplies dry up altogether!

The lead supplied will have the correct plug and polarity for most of the Meade models; I suggest you speak to your supplier about its compatibility for your scope.  If it needs a different lead, then ask them to swop the one supplied free of charge. 

(I am not at work this week so cannot advise on compatibility; if you are still unsure next week, let me know and I will check for you).

Steve :)

Just come across this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rechargeable-Portable-Powerstaion-Air-Lights-jump-start_W0QQitemZ7998816717QQcategoryZ9885QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

For 32 quid delivered, with 3 outlets, looks good to me - but would appreciate any comments from more knowledgable people.... :)

Cheers

Darren

Hi Darren this is the same one that i bought last year it works well for powering my dewheater/CCD camera

i haven't powered my mount with it but that was not the reason i bought it.

Just the same i would get conformation before hooking anything up to my mount.

The makers sell this powerpack for £50.00.

I don't realy know how it compares to other powerpacks as in performance so im no help there.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks for the various input guys.

think I will plump for the first one I listed - has 3 outlets, fuse protected, etc., and I will then purchase the power lead for the mount separately - just to be sure!!!!

DJ

Thanks for the various input guys.

think I will plump for the first one I listed - has 3 outlets, fuse protected, etc., and I will then purchase the power lead for the mount separately - just to be sure!!!!

DJ

Or make one Daz? I made my lead - cause I needed a longer one than came with the power station.

Fairly easy - you can use the battery pack that comes with the mount to find out the polarity - then It's a firly simple test to ensure that you have it the right way round.

All my leads have been (so far, don't take this as gospal) posituve inside / negative outside...

Ant

Well, I was right about the big yellow coil - but my man says they do a smaller version and will find out for me.

The power pack arrived today and is first rate. Comes with a ready made lead, correct polarity, straight into the mount. Result!!!

Just need a clear, dark night to start the compressor up :) :)

Archived