NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which Bins for hunting globulars.

Doc

I'm off to Lanzarote in August and hope to catch many globular clusters in Saggitarius, Scorpius and Ophiuchus. These objects are very low here in the UK so should be possible in Lanzarote.

Out of these two which one would you go for and would I be able to spot globs with them

Opticron Imagic TGA WP Porro Prism 10x50 at £130

Porroprism - Opticron Imagic TGA WP Porro Prism

Pentax 10x50 PCF WP II at £137

Porroprism - Pentax 10x50 PCF WP II

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if it's possible, I would go for something a bit bigger for the same money - a lower spec pair of 15x70s or even 20x80s plus tripod will show you a hec of a lot more. the open clusters of sagittarius and the nebulosity is (literally I suppose) out of this world. I was looking at them in 20x100 bins at lat 41 last summer. 10x50s are a good size for all-rounders but for dso's they're too small (IMHO).

I agree with kniclander.

If you can't bring a tripod i would use a 15x70 wich still may be used by hand. I can do it even with my heavy TS Marine.

If you can bring a tripod i suggest a 20x80 or even bigger. At 20x this is really difficult without tripod while the 15x is still relativily maintainable.

In 10x50 globs are small and much dimmer.

I would go with the suggestion of a lightweight pair of 15x70. When it comes to faint fuzzies they make such a difference compared to the 10x50, really do see a lot deeper. And the Celestron 15x70 are lightweight for that size and can be handheld for short periods. They shouldn't add too much weight over a good pair of 10x50's. But Paul has a good point if they do incur some excess baggage charge.

The first and last time i was hit with excess baggage costs it cost me nearly 80 euro for being 6KG over the limit. I bet the excess fuel needed to balance the plane doesnt even cost that much. I was only flying from Dublin to Gatwick. The cost varies from airline to airline. 15X70 i guess is about the max weight of bins i would carry with me (if i had a set of them).

a bit off topic but ba now have a limit per passenger and per bag so if you have kids, take a small suitcase for each of them. back on topic, sagittarius is so fantastic from that latitude i'd find something else to leave out - preferably something of the wife's :)

hth

a bit off topic but ba now have a limit per passenger and per bag so if you have kids, take a small suitcase for each of them. back on topic, sagittarius is so fantastic from that latitude i'd find something else to leave out - preferably something of the wife's :eek:

hth

Good minds think alike....

Maybe a few pairs of shoes, she normally takes about 10 pairs, I'm sure she won't miss them :)

The Celestron Skymaster 15x70 weigh 1.33Kg. A good pair of 10x50's, something like the Helios Naturesport-Plus 10x50 weigh 0.8Kg. Not much of a difference in weight really. And their prices are near identical.

Russ

We travel nearly everywhere handluggage. When I went to Spain last year, I managed the redsnapper, 450d and a couple of eyepieces all under the 10kg limit (plus clothes of course). Another good tip if flying Ryanair is that if you do online checkin, i.e. hand luggage only, they don't actually weigh your handluggage :)

You haven't met my missus or teenage daughter, their hand luggage will be full of makeup and curling tongs. The last time we went abroard we had to take 3 large suitcases and 2 lots of hand luggage.

We travel nearly everywhere handluggage. When I went to Spain last year, I managed the redsnapper, 450d and a couple of eyepieces all under the 10kg limit (plus clothes of course). Another good tip if flying Ryanair is that if you do online checkin, i.e. hand luggage only, they don't actually weigh your handluggage :)

I dont think going to Lanzarote for a forthnight includes just taking hand luggage.

Dont get me started about Ryanair. I always pay extra to fly with anyone BUT Ryanair. They should be named Conair.

*Disclaimer*~~~My opinion of Ryanair is not (that i know of) the same opion as SGL.

I dont think going to Lanzarote for a forthnight includes just taking hand luggage.

Dont get me started about Ryanair. I always pay extra to fly with anyone BUT Ryanair. They should be named Conair.

We could do hand luggage for a fortnight if it was summer and towels were provided (buy toiletries locally)....

As to Ryanair, you just have to use the system and plan ahead - online checkin, and hand luggage only. Even better if you've an electron card - no booking "fee". Two one week holidays in Spain (first 2 people, second 2+1 child) cost in total £150 for all flights/taxes etc... Think I paid half that in parking charges!

We had reles come over from Spain for 2 weeks over Christmas. Total cost for their return flights - £10 - for 2 people, return, including all taxes.... That's all in, not each!

Its weird. When i fly i always have a backpack on the back of the wheelchair. I always stuff it full with stuff. It is not considered hand luggage. I then also carry hand luggage. If only i could fit my big bins in the backpack.

Could you not just get a bigger backpack, or is it already maximum size for fitting the back of the wheelchair ? :)

I have to laugh at some of the stuff people bring into the cabin as "hand luggage",some of their bags are bigger than the ones I put in the hold, they really do have a brass neck some of them. :eek:

Getting this subject back on line i have another question.

I have never really observed with binoculars so say I bought the 15x70 how easy will these saggitarius globs be to see?

Could you not just get a bigger backpack, or is it already maximum size for fitting the back of the wheelchair ? :)

I have to laugh at some of the stuff people bring into the cabin as "hand luggage",some of their bags are bigger than the ones I put in the hold, they really do have a brass neck some of them. :eek:

To be honest i dont want to run the risk of having the big bins taken from me when they x-ray the backpack. As hand luggage goes....they could be seen as a weapon. Plus i'd never be able to bring my tripod either.

Sorry for going off topic.

Archived