Narrowband

Which Bins for hunting globulars.

Doc

Just one thing i think is really worth mentioning:

IF you find yourself in the Canaries and looking to buy bins in one of the electronics/optics shops.....................DONT spend more then 30 euro on a set of 10X50s. They really are not worth much more. I wouldnt even dream of buying BIG bins from one of those shops either.

I paid 90 euros a couple of yrs ago for a set of 10X50s in Lanzarote and to be honest the Lidls Bressers are far superior in quality and performance.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just one thing i think is really worth mentioning:

IF you find yourself in the Canaries and looking to buy bins in one of the electronics/optics shops.....................DONT spend more then 30 euro on a set of 10X50s. They really are not worth much more. I wouldnt even dream of buying BIG bins from one of those shops either.

I paid 90 euros a couple of yrs ago for a set of 10X50s in Lanzarote and to be honest the Lidls Bressers are far superior in quality and performance.

I know Paul I will buying from FLO before I go.

Getting this subject back on line i have another question.

I have never really observed with binoculars so say I bought the 15x70 how easy will these saggitarius globs be to see?

tbh doc, even in 20x100s the globs are just fuzzies - no stars are resolved. in 15x70s you'll see them but you'll probably only look at them once - the sagittarius clusters you'll look at night after night after night.

tbh doc, even in 20x100s the globs are just fuzzies - no stars are resolved. in 15x70s you'll see them but you'll probably only look at them once - the sagittarius clusters you'll look at night after night after night.

Sounds great lets hope I have clear skies.

I just really want to view them once anyway, just to tick them off my Messier list as from the UK they are really hard to spot.

I didn't even consider excess baggage allowance so cheers for that. I'll go and see if I can find some celestron 15x70. Any other light bins out there?

Ok, but mind the occasion too. How many times will you return the Canarian Islands?

Just maybe it may be worthwhile to pay a littlebit more

Ok, but mind the occasion too. How many times will you return the Canarian Islands?

Just maybe it may be worthwhile to pay a littlebit more

That IS true. You simply will not get the dark skies in the UK as you do in Lanzarote.

I would have no problem what so ever packing my BIG bins and tripod in a suitcase and taking it overseas (and paying the extra cost) but i have seen the way the baggage handlers throw suitcases etc around.

Seriously..............i left Dublin and my wheelchair was put in the cargo hold (as it is) and when i arrived in Salou...........i found out one of the wheels was still back in Dublin. I paid 300 euro to rent a wheelchair for 2 weeks and the airline has still not compensated me for losing my wheel(or the cost i incurred) . That was 3 yrs ago.

Damn you Monarch.

SORRY to keep going off topic but as a disabled person the only airline i get respect from and have no issues traveling with is Aer Lingus. They are a bit more expensive but who cares if my journey is hassle free.

Hi,

Why not go for a mono pod with a ball head setup, Revelation 15x70's on this set up gave me some great views in Turkey last year.

You can split the gear up between your travelling party. Just carry the bins in your hand luggage the mono pod will pack into a large suitcase no problems and the ball head is quite small and light.

Acme.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding "excess baggage" , a colleague of mine has traveled to many places around the world to watch solar eclipses with a Celestron C8 (no less) for no extra charge (OK this won't work with the likes of Ryanair). The simple "trick" is to phone the airline company, say you have an unusual piece of luggage that cannot be put in the hold, and is heavy. Very often they wave excess baggage fees, because they are too scared you will choose another airline company.

I myself have flown with a 27 lb camera backpack plus a laptop as handluggage with JAL, and did not pay a penny extra, because I contacted them beforehand.

Asking in advance makes all the difference.

The simple "trick" is to phone the airline company, say you have an unusual piece of luggage that cannot be put in the hold, and is heavy.

Be prepared to be met by the flying squad at the airport.

Nowadays, probably yes, however, phoning customs/security in advance can also help. Always be very early for check in. I traveled with a small Newtonian in the past (OK: before 9/11) and that did not cause trouble, though they were puzzled that the X-rays would not penetrate the counterweight. I did have to open my bag, and demonstrate that it was a real scope and not a rocket launcher or mortar.

Had a similar experience traveling to Israel with a small refractor, which caused some raised eyebrows. Again, letting them inspect the thing and look through it from both sides allayed any fears.

Again: talk to people, give them time to consider, ASK if it OK, NEVER demand anything, get permission in writing or per e-mail, and whatever you do, don't spring surprises on them.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived