NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky at Night 5.1.09

lulu57

Really enjoyed S@N tonight, because of the emphasis on practical observing and photography. It was good to see amateurs benefitting from a clear night for once!

It was like SGL-Central though - it was nice to see Richie Jarvis and Stephen Green doing their thing.

Nice hat Richie!

And it was super to see Richie's daughter involved - what a great star trail photo she took.:)

I missed it on the Sunday night, but caught it on BBC4 last night at 7:30. And it was extremely good.

Fortunate the seeing was excellent, and to see a few SGL members, Richie J. and his daughter, Nick Howes in the 15" Dome, Stephen Green. Dave Moulton, and others who must have had a brilliant nights Imaging and Observing.

I think I'll buy a cottage in Selsey when I win the Lottery:D.

I Imagine Sir Patrick to be a superb host too.

Ron.:)

I really enjoyed it.

I think a regular/semi-regular imaging section would be fantastic. Plus possibly some kind of beginners section/idiots guide. Then the bulk of the programme with the more advanced stuff wouldn't put us off as I feel at the moment from a beginners point of view it's hard to get into. I feel that The Sky At Night is a wonderful institution but could do with having a more practical slant as well as the heavy stuff. Just my two penneth. Oh, glad to hear Sir Patricks home, great news, here's to his continued good health. :)

I feel that The Sky At Night is a wonderful institution but could do with having a more practical slant as well as the heavy stuff.

Back to the way it used to be 50 years ago (but not in 405 line monochrome)?

I enjoyed it a lot, a great program to start the year.

It looks like it's repeated on the 9th at 13.55 on BBC2. Please double check the time. I wouldn't want anyone setting the recorder based solely on my info and getting half an hour of thomas the tank engine.

It was again wonderful and a fantastic honour to be invited down. Took just a basic DSLR, the Skynyx and a laptop with me, intention was to do some Jupiter perhaps with the Cooke, but we just ended up enjoying ourselves so much in the 15" dome, and in the house talking to Paul, Pete, Ninian etc about all sorts, that imaging largely for myself and Ian, went out of the window. The dew was a mare that night, saturating everything, and the Selsey xmas tree or something was lighting up some parts of the sky quite badly.

I do agree that perhaps on a say 3 monthly basis, Pete could do some form of imaging 101, with Paul maybe doing sketching, and what the visual eye can see in comparison.. but the schedules are usually tight, time limiting etc, and Patrick/Chris have such fantastic guests and topics, it's probably not possible at present.

That 15" takes some getting used to...but it's a beautiful piece of history...so you put up with what, in modern terms, could be considered limitations...

Agree about Emily's star trail shot...wicked image!! put daddy's pacman to shame (lol), as well as Ian, Dave and Stephens + more fantastic efforts on the night...

I think I'll buy a cottage in Selsey when I win the Lottery:D.

I Imagine Sir Patrick to be a superb host too.

Ron.:)

They all are. Patrick's people/helpers/friends/TV crew as well as Pete/Chris etc, are all marvellous, and really make you feel like a part of something special..

Archived