NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello everyone - this is my first post

JulianB

Hi All.

Had my eye on this super forum for a few weeks and decided to join following my whirl wind few months introduction to astronomy.

Having been interested in reading about the planets as a child and recognising the odd constellation in adult life I got totally hooked on astronomy just this year having 1) been caught up in the 40 year anniversary of the moon landings 2) noticed a very bright star in the evening sky and wondering what it was (turned out to be Jupiter).

This led to buying a few books including Patrick Moore's teach Yourself Astronomy, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed that book, this led to buying a few more books and some astronomy magazines which in turn led to the purchase of a Skywatcher 130PM.

Seeing Jupiter and the moons through the scope was a humbling experience and I spent many a night viewing other marvels such as Andromeda, Pleiades etc. However I couldnt get to grips with the equatorial mount and realising that I was now hooked decided to return the 130PM (it ahd a faulty mount) in favour of a Skywatcher Skyliner-250PX FlexTube (having weighed up what I wanted from a scope). Telescope Planet were happy to do the swap (what a nice company!)

All in all I would say Im happy with the 250PX but I wish I'd gone for the solid tube now as I store the scope in the garage so space is not an issue and the secondary mists up terribly on cold nights + I'm worried about dropping something heavy onto the primary (and its much heavier than I expected). Would be happy to post a full review at some point if people are interested.

So there you have it, my next target...Mars, so looking forward to some clear nights.

Pleased to meet you all

Julian

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm in Hertfordshire, near Bishops Stortford its semi rural but there is a street light right over the back garden which drives me mad. :D

Its a bit cloudy here but I can see Mars right over head popping out of the clouds. have just bought a Nagler 13mm and Nagler 9mm second hand, arrived yesterday so can't wait to try them out but I didnt take the scope out tonight as it is very very cold and I was out all day in the forest taking pictures of snow! (I'm a large format landscape photographer - Julian Boulter - Large Format Landscape Photography ).

Julian

Hi JulianB,

A warm welcome to SGL! :D

Jupiter never gets old, it doesn't matter how many times I look at it with the scope. Some great EP's you've just bought i'm sure Mars will look good with them as it gets closer over the next month or so. :)

Cheers

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm in Hertfordshire, near Bishops Stortford its semi rural but there is a street light right over the back garden which drives me mad. :D

Julian

i no exactly what you mean them lights seem to take over everywhere if it was my choice there wudnt even be any haha

Julian

A warm welcome to SGL.

I suspect that seeing Jupiter and its moons for the first time will now be etched on your memory. I remember seeing Saturn for the first time through a largish scope and I was speechless ... well, almost

Steve

Hi Julian, and welcome to SGL.

A great scope and EPs. Have you got a tube cover for the Flextube? May help prevent dropping things onto the primary...

I'm also in Herts, and although there's quite a lot of light pollution, I don't have any streetlights that can be seen from the garden, so I'm lucky.

Enjoy your new toy. As others have said, you won't forget your first views of Jupiter.

Love your work on your website, by the way! :D

WOW,

Blown away by the welcome messages, thanks everyone, what a freindly forum this is!! :D

Jarndyce, thanks for the nice comments about my website, and yes, I am considering a shroud for the flextube either home-made or if that doesnt work I will buy one.

The real problem I have at the moment is the secondary misting up when my breath hits it in this cold weather, its ruined any viewing of late as the secondary is very expsosed on the flextube so hopefully the shroud will help.

Julian

Archived