Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Orion Nebula

pbyrne

Hi all

Early this morning I finally got the chance to observe the nebula at a decent height and decided to produce a sketch. Hope you like it.

4181455878_dc0ab6807f_b.jpg

There is so much detail to be seen that it can be overwhelming. I'm not sure if it shows up on screen but there is a patch of nebulosity around the bright star halfway between the Trapezium and the five o'clock position.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

That's a really impressive sketch Paul, well done indeed.:)

I've tried this one myself and I know what you mean by the detail being overwhelming. I posted on the forum some time ago so I can't remember the link......Anyway, I really like the way you added the extra detail near the trapezium.

Once again, well done!:D

Stef

This is one of the first objects sketchers look to and the most difficult as there is so much detail and with averted vision even more which is impossible to draw. Clumps around trap stars are so complex. Well Done Paul.

JohnH.

Thank you all so much for the kind words, it's always humbling when other people appreciate your efforts.

James, it's all a matter of practice, you should see some of my first efforts.

If anyone is thinking of getting into sketching I recommend starting with open clusters, they are a nice way to ease yourself in and the results are very pleasing.

Paul

Paul, do you use chalk/white pencils? Or do you sketch the negative and then invert your image in photoshop? I'm thinking of starting out sketching and wondered which is the best approach?

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike

I use pencil for the stars and charcoal applied with a blending stump for the nebula itself. I scan it into Photoshop and then invert it.

This method works for me, though I am attempting pastels to see what results I get. I believe that starting off with pencils is probably best as the mistakes can be easily corrected.

Paul

Archived