Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binocular Help

Hi everybody! Im relatively new to astronomy and thus far i have only used my eyes to view the night sky but i am interested in buying a pair of binoculars (preferrably from the shop and not online) my main interest is planetary viewing but i also like watching the moon.

What binos would suit me best?

Binos are a "very" good way to get into astronomy

They tend not to be good for planetary views though

(not very sharp) unless you have an enormous budget.

but will be fine for Lunar work.

For best planetary views i would recommend a refracting telescope.

Brian

budget wise im not really looking for something that will cost more than £100. If i could get a decent telescope for that price then i would but i presume most good telescopes are a lot more expensive than that.

I would say no no. If you can stretch your budget to £115, I would recomend the Startravel 80 EQ1. It has a far better mount, tripod, eyepieces etc.

If worse comes to the worse and you decide astronomy is not your thing, I have notice that this telescope commands a good price on e-bay. That's due to it's reputation.

There are quite a few astronomy shops that sell the skywatcher range of telescopes so if they have it in stock you can see it in the flesh, though prices do vary. With First Light Optics you can buy over the web, over the phone, I think they have have a show room though not 100% sure. They are good to talk to if you have any queries. That's been my experience of them.

Thanks Darren but unfortunately we don't have a showroom yet.

Cloud9, one of SGL's members has put together a Google map that includes dealers with showrooms. Best though to phone first to ensure they stock the models that interest you. (The map centres on Canada but scroll right to find the UK dealers)

HTH

Archived