NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing with Glasses

Ibbo!

I've started doing visual again and tonight I've been having major problems with my specs dewing over

It must have been the same way back when I was doing visual before but cannot remember it as bad as this

I take them off to look through the scope and they are suspended around my neck with a granny strap as I dare not put them down as I've destroyed a couple of pairs in the past

I've come in to try with contacts lenses again

When I've tried before they were not comfortable

how do those of you that wear glasses (well I suppose they should be called plastics now) go on with modern specs

Steve

Glasses dewing up is pain, and no easy solution, although I suppose a heated dew strap around the focuser might succeed if it overlapped the front of the eyepiece being used, where the warmth from it may keep the spectacle lens of the viewing eye clear.

Ron.:icon_eek:

I tried the contact lenses

These are softer than the last lot I tried at the eyepiece and they were not bad at all

The modern lenses may be worth a try

only problem is I had trouble reading the star atlas

think I need longer arms

Steve

I don't need the specs for reading

I've tried putting them in my pockets but they get scratched with all the other things in there

allen keys, sockets,screwdrivers, half housebricks and all the other c*** that gets shoved in(well it feels that heavy)

Steve

Do you really need your glasses for visual observing? If your problem is simply long or short sightedness this can be accommodated with the focusing system on the scope. If you suffer from astigmatism then glasses may be obligatory although a correcting element to be placed at the eyepiece can be made available. I have slight astigmatism in both eyes but fortunately the axes are complimetary so if i use binoculars or binoviewers it cancels out.

The modern lenses may be worth a try

only problem is I had trouble reading the star atlas

think I need longer arms

Steve

Just recently I have tried just putting in one contact lens. I look at the sky with the corrected eye and use the other for looking through the scope or reading the map/pc etc

Cheers

Danny

Steve

Just recently I have tried just putting in one contact lens. I look at the sky with the corrected eye and use the other for looking through the scope or reading the map/pc etc

Cheers

Danny

I like your thinking

but knowing me I'd end up going base over apex

Steve

We suffer from misting canopies in gliders in cold weather when the crews breath condenses on the inside. If you wipe the plastic surface with a block of soap and then dry polish it off it acts as a demister. Never tried it for astronomy as I just take mine off.

Perhaps a few could try it and report back.???Clear Skies & Clear specs

Archived