Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 400d with standard 18-55mm lens - filter question

If you have a 2" LP filter just rest it in the lens hood but dont forget to take it out before moving the camera. I have done this a few times with reasonble success before I got my clip filter.

For a more robust solution it may be possible to get some sort of step down ring that the LP filter can be screwed into then screwed onto the lens

Yes there is a way, simply cut off the back plastic bit on the lens which will allow clearance for the EOS filter. I've a CLS filter, the 18-55mm lens, and a 400d and it works.

I only did this because a) I had two idential lenses :D I was prepared to take the risk that if it was damaged then I wasn't going to be too annoyed.

It works 100% now, autofocus, etc unaffected, and bahaves just like it did before.

Here are some pictures, copy at your own risk :headbang:

Lens01.jpg

Lens02.jpg

Lens03.jpg

Lens04.jpg

Here are a couple of 30s exposures from my house, first without, second with the filter fitter.

OrionLP.jpg

OrionFiltered.jpg

I want to mount my canon 400d on my HEQ5 for wide field shots but it has the stock 18-55 EF-S lens and as such the EOS Clip filters are not suitable.

Sod's law, I read this the day my EOS clip filter arrived :D and I have the stock lens! :headbang:

But I think I have a solution to the problem using EOS mount macro extension tubes to move the lens away from the ccd and mirror. This means that the 18-55mm cannot achieve focus, but I can correct this using the lens assembly from an old OM10 2x converter that I no longer use.

I just need to machine up a plate to mount the lens inside the extension rings. Tested it using blue-tak and it works! :D

Will take a couple of weeks before I can get to my Step Father's work shop but I will post pictures of the final result.

Cheers

Danny

You could just get a front mount filter if you don't want to butcher your lens.

Steve

Hi Steve

In hindsight, that's what I should have done. Problem is I already paid for the clip filter, nothing left to spend!

I will still use the clip for the EOS350 on the back of my WO66mm and I have some old M42 lenses that will work with the clip filter in place.

It's just the 18-55mm is the most used so I wanted a small adapter that is easy to cart around. The cost of the bodged-2x-converter will be practically zero!

Cheers

Danny

Archived