NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Suggestions for "demonstration" targets

wulfrunian

I'm helping to run an astronomy evening at church on Sunday evening. In the unlikely event that it's clear (Metcheck has changed its mind from heavy rain to clear skies in 24 hours, plenty of time to change back again!), we hope to let people look through our scopes.

We're expecting around 20 or so people, 25 maximum I should think, and there'll be two or three scopes there. So, not loads of time each... the evening starts at 6pm, and I was thinking that we could therefore show them the Moon, Jupiter, gamma Andromeda and M31, to illustrate a variery of different kinds of object. Any other suggestions of what you think we should include if time and skies allow?

I like M81 and M82 as they are easier to see than M31 IMHO. Also M36-38 are nice examples of smaller clusters. You should probably include some double stars - double double and Albiero perhaps (if they are still visible - they aren't from my east only viewing direction so I have no idea how far over they are...)?

I second the double cluster.

Try to find one of the globular clusters too. Telling them that the little faint ball they are looking at is a few hundred thousand stars packed relatively close together is always food for thought.

While they are waiting for scope time, have them look at some of the brighter constellations. Being able to recognise constellations is a great way of drawing people in as they will repeatedly try to spot them on future evenings.

Thanks to everybody. Just home - although there were one or two tantalising breaks in the clouds, it was never going to be enough to set up outside. So we gave the presentations inside that we'd prepared, and it all seemed to go down well.

Your suggestions won't be in vain hopefully though; we said we'd run an observing night in January or February at very late notice if we look like having a clear night when we're free. There was lots of interest in that, and we've collected a list of names and phone numbers so we can ring round if we have a good looking night; a lot of your suggested targets will still be on view then :headbang:

Archived