Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Kielder in October

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope the weather clears up for tomorrow night! Up here is Edinburgh it's pretty dire. I will be there on Friday night with a bottle of Jameson's to keep me warm!

I saw a report that said Friday is supposed to be clear, so somebody must be looking out for me.....somewhere!

Capacity for Star Camp has been pegged at about 100 pitches - 34 with electric hook-ups.

There are a good range of facilities, including laundrette, pay phone, hot and cold showers, toilet disposal point, dish washing room and children's play area.

A warm room will be open so campers can get the chill from their bones during observing sessions. There will also be facilities to re-charge batteries.

Just five minutes walk from the campsite, you'll find the Duke's Pantry Tea-room at Kielder Castle. It serves excellent home-made meals and is open from 8am to 6pm during Star Camp (8am to 9pm . The Angler's Arm pub is also a short stroll away, selling real ale and evening meals. Kielder also has a post office and grocery shop. There is no mobile reception in the area.

Kielder is 17 miles north west of Bellingham (pronounced "Belling--jum"). Along the C200 (a very good road). Journey times are: Edinburgh 2 hours, Newcastle 1 hour, Leeds 3 hours, Manchester 3.5 hours, Birmingham 4.5 hours and London 7.5 hours. Click here for a map.

THE RED LIGHT RULES

At Kielder we want you to enjoy the night sky at its best--and that means curbing white light.

It takes up to 45 minutes for your eyes to become fully dark adapted, but that can be lost in a fraction of a second by a carelessly pointed torch or car head light. To make sure we all stay happily in the dark, the following simple rules will apply.

Between 20.00 and 04.00 no driving onto the observing field is permitted.

If you intend to use a laptop computer for imaging, ensure it is fitted with red masking film. You can also place the laptop inside an open box to further shield nearby observers from the screen.

No laser pointers.

Lights from caravans, motor homes or tents must be fully shielded or covered with red filters.

Torches on the observing field must be red filtered.

Ensure car vanity and boot lights are either switched off or masked.

Archived