Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Obsy tips

Just thought I would pass on a few nuggets from the past weeks with the obsy

1: Gel keyboard covers. These help prevent moisture getting in (dew etc) to the keyboard when the roof is retracted (if your laptops are not in a warm room that is)

Eee PC Keyboard Silicon Cover Skin ASUS EEEPC 1000H !! on eBay (end time 14-Nov-09 16:35:39 GMT)

2: Gel keyboard - I bought one of those foldaway rubber waterproof keyboards from ebay...works very well, and no issues with dew/moisture

BLACK Rubber Silicone Foldable Flexible USB PC Keyboard on eBay (end time 17-Nov-09 19:37:12 GMT)

3: Cable trunking... - again from ebay £1.58/metre. That tacked to the floor stops trip hazards.

4: Cable conduit - Two long 40mm wide pipes, with interconnect - £2 a metre from B&Q

5: Around 1KG of strategically placed silica gel...

6: 3 push on battery led lights (covered with red gel) - Very handy

Feel free anyone to add any more tips you think would help others to this thread...

I can only reiterate what you've already said. All my cables for power, USB, etc. run in a 2" waste pipe underfloor, and through the concrete filling the pier. Included is a mains supply, though that runs through a separate conduit, and terminates at a 13 Amp outlet screwed to the pier, An RCD Multi x 5 13 amp socket strip is also screwed vertically to the pie. There are no cables at all above the floor area around the pier/scope.

I spending more time in there than in the house at present. I have heating in there too, but is a portable gas heater which switches between Obs's, depending upon which one is open to the sky, and which one is the warm room for the night..

All I am concerned with at the moment, is learning how to use all this gear I've spent a fortune on. I'm enjoying myself though. Well, up to now anyway.:rolleyes::D.

Ron.

I spending more time in there than in the house at present.

Ron.

Your wife become a widow too :rolleyes::D altho now the observatory is my wife's first port of call if she cannot find me in the house......it was good while it lasted.

Your wife become a widow too :rolleyes::D altho now the observatory is my wife's first port of call if she cannot find me in the house......it was good while it lasted.

HehHeh!! George, I bought a set of walkie talkies so we could talk to each other without me trudging to the house, or she coming down the garden. It's handy when I want a cup of tea, or for a timely ."Your Dinners on the table.":D

She often asks, "What you doing in there, I'm still at the stage where the answer has to be, "I've no Idea dear, but I'm getting there.";)

Ron.:)

I found it took several iterations of cable positions in and around the scope/mount before I found a configuration that would not snag anywhere where the scope would slew...

And Maplin do packets of velcro cable ties. V V useful!!

I only have 240v in the warm room, everthing to the scope is 12 volt and the red lighting is 12v marine navigation lights. Nice neat little units with a deep red lens and running off an old model railway transformer so I can dim them. I also have a bendy neck one over the little chart table that can switched between red and white light.

I should have put 2 " pipe under the floor, only put 1.25" which full up now!

Archived